Chrissie Swan Admits To Smoking While Pregnant

February 6, 2013, 10:43 am WHO Magazine whomagazine

Chrissie Swan emotionally confesses to smoking while pregnant

Chrissie Swan Admits To Smoking While Pregnant
(3.66)

Swan at the 2012 Logie Awards/Getty

After being photographed smoking a cigarette while pregnant with her third child, Australian TV personality Chrissie Swan emotionally confessed she has "struggled terribly with totally giving up cigarettes since I found out I was pregnant" during a segment on her Melbourne radio show Chrissie and Jane this morning.

"Up until about six years ago I was what you call a full-time smoker. I really gave it a nudge in my 20s, as a lot of us did," the former host of The Circle said. "Then I met 'the Chippie' (husband Chris) who has never smoked and I cut back a lot...Then I got pregnant with Leo and I quit completely for a couple of years, which was fantastic."

"Now sadly, I picked it up about a year ago and I was what I would call a 'not really smoker'. I never smoked at home and I never smoked around my family. I'd just sneak a few here and there and I know I'm not alone in this. Mainly I would do it in the car, in fact, I would only do it in the car when I was certain that I was alone," Swan admitted.

After discovering she was pregnant for the third time six months ago, Swan said she "tried to go cold turkey like I did with Leo and I was confident that I could do it, but I couldn't do it," Swan confessed about her unhealthy habit. I just failed and failed, time after time. I'd win for a few days then I would have one."

Swan's confession comes just days after paparazzi photographed the pregnant star "having a sneaky cigarette." Begging they "not write the story" of her secret shame "because I know how bad it looks," Swan decided to come clean. "It is bad. And I also told them it was a deeply shameful secret no one knows...not my mum, not my best friend, not my partner."

"Obviously I know it's wrong, I'm not an idiot. No smoker wants to smoke, especially when they're pregnant but it is clearly an addiction and a very serious one," Swan said."I'm devoted to my children. I would never do anything to harm them and yet, here I am having five cigarettes and justifying it. It's madness, I cannot explain it.''

Speaking on his long-time client's behalf, Swan's manager, David Wilson, issued a statement in support of Swan following the scandal: "Chrissie is horrified and heartbroken she couldn't find the strength to quit whilst pregnant. Addiction is serious and smoking is an incredibly difficult habit to kick. These past few days have galvanised Chrissie's commitment to take the steps needed to stop it once and for all with the full support of those she loves and love her."

1. Phil06:36pm Thursday 07th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

People in glass houses should not throw stones there are woman out there that are on hard drugs and this does far more harm than smoking as I have seen the results and it is sad to see the children what they have to go thru We should be asking why people are so addicated to smoking it is in the cigarette and this should be checked out Everybody is an expert and they should just leave her alone and get on with their own lives

2. Melanie06:04pm Thursday 07th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

She has tried to quit and that is what counts, leave the poor woman alone. I quit with my first pregnancy as I luckily could not stand the smell of them as soon as I was 5 weeks pregnant. If this had not happened I do not know if I would have had the strength to quit. Not everyone is as lucky as I was and its a horrible controlling habit that is hard to escape. Stop being mean to her, none of you are perfect either.

3. tess04:27pm Thursday 07th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

here I am struggling to get pregnant and she goes out and has number three and smokes.there is no justice...

4. Ruth10:33am Thursday 07th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Yahoo has a thing on here about reporting abuse, there are so many abusive comments regarding this matter irrespective of whether they are for or against, yahoo should take a good look and then stop allowing comments to prevent the abuse in the first place. People need to start thinking before commenting.

5. julzd09:25pm Wednesday 06th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Oh for gods sake leave Chrissie Swan alone. How many women out there smoke and drink alcohol during their pregnancy?? But because Chrissie is in the limelight she is burnt at the stake by you people. Hypocrits. How many of you women out there subjecting Chrissy to this #$%$ smoked and drank during your pregnancy. Move on. Chrissie we love you and will always support you. You hypocrits out there shut ya mouth. Go out there in the real world and ask the question: DID YOU SMOKE DURING YOUR PREGNANCY?? Bet most would say yes. Leave Chrissie and her family alone.

6. Phil Henderson06:06pm Wednesday 06th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Chrissie darl, why dont you go and look after your family and leave radio and tv to those you have talent

7. Phil Henderson06:01pm Wednesday 06th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

how can you tell she is pregnant.there dont appear to be any signs ???

8. maxie05:50pm Wednesday 06th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

I smoke and I am pregnant! You all need to be ashamed of yourselves and worry about your own lives! I smoked with my first child and he turned out perfectly healthy..The stress you all are putting this poor woman through will do more harm than having the odd smoke! Get a life, totally un newsworthy!

4 Replies
  9. Ghost Hunter05:47pm Wednesday 06th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ! GRUNT !

10. psillycybian05:35pm Wednesday 06th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

im not sure which is worse , smoking while pregnant or over feeding your kids into morbid obesity . jeez.