Rihanna Doesn't Care If You're Upset She's Back with Chris Brown

January 31, 2013, 8:01 am People.com whomagazine

"We don't have those types of arguments anymore," she says of her controversial relationship with Brown

Rihanna Doesn t Care If You re Upset She s Back with Chris Brown

Getty

They've recorded new music together and have shared intimate photos online, but Rihanna hasn't fully opened up about her reconciliation with boyfriend Chris Brown ā€“ until now. The pop star, 24, came clean about why she decided to get back with the singer, 23, who was charged with assaulting her in 2009, in the latest Rolling Stone cover story.

"I decided it was more important for me to be happy and I wasn't going to let anybody's opinion get in the way of that," she tells the magazine."Even if it's a mistake, it's my mistake," she says. "After being tormented for so many years, being angry and dark, I'd rather just live my truth and take the backlash. I can handle it."

Rihanna also reveals that even though they broke up following the assault, she still had feelings for him. "So when that sā€“ā€“ came back, it hit me like a ton of bricks. Like, God, you've got to be kidding right now. But I got real with myself, and I just couldn't bury what I felt."

The singer, who has released new duets with Brown including "Nobody's Business" from her last album Unapologetic, understands the world may harbor negative views towards her and Brown's rekindled relationship. But she says things have changed between the two of them.

"When you add up the pieces from the outside, it's not the cutest puzzle in the world. ... But it's different now. We don't have those types of arguments anymore," she says. "We value each other. We know exactly what we have now, and we don't want to lose that."

RELATED: Rihanna Strips Down For GQ

And Rihanna says that if Brown were ever to display a hint of his past behavior towards her, she is ready to walk. "He doesn't have the luxury of f****** up again," she says. "That's just not an option. I can't say that nothing else will ever go wrong. But I'm pretty solid in the knowing that he's disgusted by that. And I wouldn't have gone this far if I ever thought that was a possibility."

"He made a mistake, and he's paid his dues," Rihanna adds. "He's paid so much. And I know that's not a place he would ever want to go back to. And sometimes people need support and encouragement, instead of ridicule and criticism and bashing."

RELATED: Rihanna Breaks Her Silence On Chris Brown

1. JasonB04:38am Friday 01st February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

"After being tormented for so many years, being angry and dark, I'd rather just live my truth and take the backlash. I can handle it." Well Rihanna, next time he beats the #$%$ out of you, I hope you remember those words. You reap what you sow.

2. Drew02:58am Friday 01st February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

I think they will be fine as long as she doesn't give him herpes again.

3. Ionela02:33am Friday 01st February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

u r a disgrace to young girls that see u as a rolle model....ur soo s...it rihanna get a grip girl he hit u once and will do it again u deserve every hit he offers u ...hope u can read this and have a look at reality cose u mith not be boder about what they say but they pay u soo( i for one dont like u)

4. Ghost Hunter01:32am Friday 01st February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Stupid bimbo deserves the next smack in the head she gets from that druggie thug !

5. wanderer12:25am Friday 01st February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

smack him around until he has to visit dentist

6. Neriad10:26pm Thursday 31st January 2013 ESTReport Abuse

ididnt read the article anymore...just look at the photo enough to make u sick. never read anything about them. two of them are plain pityful! if rihanna is happy as a punching bag, let her! for all we care! she's gonna be in that situation again, nobody will sympathize with her anymore..she will deserve it! boohoo! she can't even find a (decent) man!

7. sledger09:45pm Thursday 31st January 2013 ESTReport Abuse

I love seeing people moving forth with maturity. They're a shining light

8. abc08:42pm Thursday 31st January 2013 ESTReport Abuse

If she wants to get beat, let her get beat; stop reporting this kind of story.

9. Kim07:37pm Thursday 31st January 2013 ESTReport Abuse

she back wid da brother he gunna feed her the crack baby ..no what im saying momma

10. Kim07:34pm Thursday 31st January 2013 ESTReport Abuse

she will finish up a grud addicted moron and od