WanaBana puree pouch recall—’may contain elevated levels of lead’

High levels of lead were found in WanaBana puree pouches. The FDA issued a statement recommending that parents get their children tested.

The FDA urges parents and caregivers to stop buying or feeding WanaBana apple cinnamon fruit puree pouches to children. The pouches are sold nationally across at major retailers including Sam’s Club and Amazon. The puree pouch recall includes all lot codes and expiration dates.

The FDA’s press release states, “the product may contain elevated levels of lead.”

Lead is very toxic but the signs of exposure can be difficult to detect so they also recommend asking your child’s healthcare provider for a blood test. “If there’s suspicion that a child may have been exposed to lead, parents should talk to their child’s healthcare provider about getting a blood test.”

Some short term symptoms can include:

  • Headache

  • Abdominal pain/Colic

  • Vomiting

  • Anemia

Some long term symptoms can include:

  • Irritability

  • Lethargy

  • Fatigue

  • Muscle aches or muscle prickling/burning

  • Occasional abdominal discomfort

  • Constipation

  • Difficulty concentrating/Muscular exhaustibility

  • Headache

  • Tremor

  • Weight loss

The investigation started with the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (NCDHHS) and the North Carolina Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services (NCDA&CS) “regarding four children with elevated blood lead levels, indicating potential acute lead toxicity.”

The release states that the FDA reviewed and supports the NCDHHS’s analytical findings. Once the brand was made aware of the situation they “agreed to voluntarily recall all WanaBana apple cinnamon fruit puree pouches regardless of expiration.”

The agency’s statement also said that they are working with officials to remove this product from the market.

“If you have WanaBana brand apple cinnamon puree products in your home, do not eat them or feed them to your children. Dispose of the products immediately,” the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services said.