The alleged stalker of TV star Sophie Monk has been released from jail just a week after he was charged with breaching an AVO.
Brian Rapley, 49, was charged last week after he allegedly turned up at Monk’s manager’s Sydney office in breach of the apprehended violence order (AVO) taken out to protect the star, A Current Affair reported on Thursday night.
He was refused bail in a hearing of the matter last week but returned to court this week to find a very different outcome.
After just one week in jail, he was released on a 12-month community corrections order and informed the AVO would remain in place.
NSW Police took out the apprehended violence order after Mr Rapley showed up outside Monk’s Central Coast home earlier this year.
The court was told the father of two was seen on CCTV placing a red rose at the reality TV star’s door about 7.30am on Anzac Day this year.
Mr Rapley claims he was misled by an online con artist posing as Monk who sent him romantic texts and direct messages for four months before later scamming him out of $7000.
“I felt like such an idiot,” Mr Rapley told The Daily Telegraph.
“But I thought we were in a relationship.”
He said he was asked to attend Monk’s home after the scammer provided him with the star’s' Central Coast address.
Monk’s neighbours alerted her manager after they heard Mr Rapley yelling for her outside her house.
In a statement to police, Monk said: “I do not know any person by the name of Brian Rapley. I am not in a relationship with anyone by the name of Brian Rapley. I am currently happily married to my husband Joshua Gross.”