A West Australian health authority is concerned of an outbreak of coronavirus in the state and is preparing for the worst.
Victoria recorded 466 new cases on Saturday, with the state’s death toll climbing to 193.
In contrast, WA recorded no new cases on Saturday.
But Australian Medical Association's WA president Andrew Miller told the ABC doctors in the state feared they were “sitting on a time bomb”.
They are concerned returning travellers or interstate visitors could bring COVID-19 back into WA.
"This state is ready to blow up with COVID,” he told the ABC.
Dr Miller is pushing the WA Government to provide N95 masks to all frontline healthcare workers and said they are more protective than surgical masks.
WA border could be closed for a year
On Saturday, Premier Mark McGowan said it could be months, or even a year, before it reopens its borders.
Saturday was originally slated to be the day the state welcomed interstate travellers once more, but now Mr McGowan says it could be pushed back a year.
"It's a long way away. I can't put a date on it, but it is certainly months," he told reporters.
"As to whether it's before the end of the year, as to whether it's before the middle of next year, I cannot put a date on it.
"Every time you try and put a date on it, you have to change."
Western Australia eradicated community transmission in April, but active cases are still prevalent in Victoria and NSW.
Mr McGowan has previously ruled out a travel bubble with other states which have maintained low cases, and says the eastern states will have to eliminate community spread before he will consider lifting border restrictions.
His strict stance triggered a legal battle with Clive Palmer, who is challenging the border closures in the High Court.
"What I can guarantee you is we won't bring down the borders before we're forced to by the High Court, which hopefully doesn't happen, or before we get health advice it's safe to do so," Mr McGowan said on Saturday.
It comes as the further easing of restrictions in the state have been delayed again.
The last remaining restrictions on gatherings within the state's borders had been due to end last month, allowing capacity crowds of 60,000 at Optus Stadium and the removal of the two square metre rule at pubs and other venues.
But WA's chief health officer has again recommended delaying the move to phase five, citing concerns over outbreaks in the eastern states.
Mr McGowan says it won't come into effect until August 29 at the earliest.
"As a nation, we have entered the most dangerous phase of this pandemic," he said on Friday.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.