A teenager is fighting for life after falling while working at a construction site.
Emergency services were called to the worksite on Victoria St, West End, in Brisbane, at about 1.30pm on Tuesday.
Queensland Ambulance said a 17-year-old boy had fallen about 2.5m at the inner city worksite.
It’s understood he fell through a hole while working on one level at the building site.
The 17-year-old worker was taken to the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital with a serious head injury, where he was placed into an induced coma.
A Queensland Health Metro North spokeswoman confirmed the teen remains in a critical condition on Wednesday.
Workplace Health and Safety Queensland is now investigating the incident.
A Workplace Health and Safety Queensland spokesman said inspectors were returning to site on Wednesday “as part of the ongoing investigation”.
This is the second serious workplace incident in days in the southeast Queensland region, after a 56-year-old man died while working on the Cleveland-Redland Bay Road site at Victoria Point on Saturday.
He was crushed by a truck at the Seymour Whyte Site, about 35km east of Brisbane.
CFMEU state secretary Michael Ravbar said the man’s death was “yet another shocking incident” brought on by the Queensland Government’s failure to protect construction workers.
“This totally preventable death follows repeated warnings from the CFMEU about the need to modernise outdated regulation about heavy plant and equipment,” Mr Ravbar said.
“A fortnight ago we saw thousands of building and construction workers march on Parliament House to demand the Palaszczuk Government fix the dysfunctional WorkSafe Queensland.”
Meanwhile, man in his 20s was hospitalised after getting his arm caught in machinery at a workplace in Proserpine earlier this month.
He was taken to hospital in a stable condition.