Turning three is a big day in any little girl’s life, but on Thursday, people thought Princess Charlotte was royally snubbed on her birthday, after Kensington Palace released an old photo of her.
Instead of a shiny new portrait we’re used to seeing of royal tots on their birthdays, the Kensington Palace Twitter account was instead updated with an old snap of Princess Charlotte’s first day at nursery school in January.
Needless to say, people immediately thought the cute princess has been put into the middle child box after the birth of her brother, Prince Louis – but it turns out that’s not the case at all.
Wishing a happy third birthday to Princess Charlotte – thank you all for your lovely messages! pic.twitter.com/IpLwFXveHp
— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) May 2, 2018
Despite melting everyone’s hearts last week when she gave a perfect princess wave outside the front of St Mary’s Hospital, it seems glimpses of the princess will be rare in the future, apart from at the royal wedding of course.
- Outrage as royals tell guests to ‘bring their own food’ to the wedding
- Meghan Markle called an ‘icon’ by her Hollywood friend
It’s all down to her parents, Prince William and Kate Middleton, who have a strict rule on keeping their kids out of the spotlight.
“William and Kate won’t want to overexpose their children,” royal expert Penny Junor told Elle.
“They have never been entirely conventional so I imagine they might release a photo in their own time, and it might be one Kate takes herself.
She went on to say that just like the royals did when Prince George and Princess Charlotte were born, it’s likely they’ll release a family photo soon.
“A photo to commemorate the new baby’s birth is hardly excessive however, and I would say, for historical purposes, it is important for there to be one,” she said.
Got a story tip? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org