The real reason you’re not losing weight

Kristine Tarbert
Lifestyle & Entertainment Producer

If you thought cutting carbs out of your life was the key to getting the body of your dreams then think again, because it could actually be the reason you can’t shake that extra weight.

At first, you might find losing 2-3kgs comes quite easily, but maintaining that long term is where pretty much everyone falls off the wagon. And let’s be honest, yo-yo dieting is so last year.

Carbohydrates can get a bit of a bad reputation for being the number one cause when it comes to weight gain and unhealthy eating.

Cutting carbs could actually be the reason you can’t shake that extra weight. Photo: Getty

But according to experts, this food group is actually one of the most important to include into our diet in order to build a strong and heathy body.

“Carbohydrates are fundamental to a healthy diet and whilst they are needed if you want to put on weight, ditching them all together from your diet in order to lose weight is not the answer,” founder of The Beach Life Fuel & Fitness 12 Week Plan, Richard Kerrigan tells Be.

According to Richard, there are three macronutrients our body need in order to stay alive: protein, fat and carbohydrate.

“Each macronutrient is just as important as the next and provides the body with different fuels in order for us to function, grow, repair and ultimately survive,” he says.

The three macronutrients our body needs in order to stay alive are protein, fat and carbohydrates. Photo: Getty

Cutting carbs from your diet may result in quick weight loss however the chances are this will not be sustainable.

“This will often lead to weight gain in the future when carbs are introduced back into the diet which isn’t sustainable long term,” he adds.

The key to losing weight as we all know by now, is creating an overall active and healthy lifestyle, and Richard suggests being mindful of which carbohydrates you choose to eat is the place to start.

“Avoiding the simple carbs such as white bread, cakes, crisps, sweets etc as these generally have a higher Glycemic Index, leading to a rise in blood sugar levels,” he says.

Richard says to stay away from simple carbs such as white bread and cakes. Photo: Getty

The sharper the rise the sharper the drop resulting in ‘the crash’ where we look for a quick energy fix to pull us out, according to Richard.

“Repeating this several times a day is where weight gain can start to occur,” he says.

Instead choose the more complex carbs such as wholegrains, berry fruits (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc.), and legumes such as lentils and pulses.

“These foods have much less of an impact on our blood sugar and prevent it from rising too much.”

The key to losing weight as well all know is creating an overall active and healthy lifestyle. Photo: Getty

Of course, it’s important to remember there’s nothing wrong with eating the odd sugary food now and again, in fact Richard believes you can still have the odd indulgence.

“I truly believe and actively promote that a healthy lifestyle is all about balance. I look forward to eating a doughnut or a bag of chips I just don’t do it every week,” he admits.

“If you really want to see results my advice is to eat well 80% of the time and enjoy the other 20% whether it be through nights out, takeaways or dessert.

“We as humans are meant to enjoy life and the diet you are most likely to stick to is the one that you enjoy.”

Founder of The Beach Life Fuel & Fitness 12 Week Plan Richard Kerrigan shares his tips with Be. Photo: Supplied

Richard’s shares his top 5 tips for weight loss with Be:

-Control your portions by eating your food in smaller dishes, plates or containers.
-Consume a diet rich in green leafy vegetables, lean protein and complex carbohydrates
-Drink at least 2-2.5 litres of water
-Consume majority of carbohydrates after a workout
-Avoid processed and high sugar foods as much as possible and stick to home cooked meals where you can control the ingredients used

Got a story tip? Send it to

Want more celebrity, entertainment and lifestyle news? Follow Be on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr and Instagram.