While Queen Elizabeth remains in isolation at Windsor Castle amid the coronavirus pandemic, another one of her staff have tested positive for the virus.
A royal footman, who regularly walks the Queen’s dogs and was in contact with the monarch, is now in self-isolation after falling ill with coronavirus, according to The Sun.
Just last year the footman, who has worked at Buckingham Palace for six years, was promoted. He is thought to see the monarch on an almost daily basis, as his role includes taking meals to the Queen.
The positive test is just the latest alarm for the royal household with a royal source claiming people are ‘terrified’.
“There is a palpable sense of fear in the air at the moment,” the source told the publication.
It’s yet unclear exactly when he was diagnosed, however the news comes just a week after the Queen’s son Prince Charles also tested positive for COVID-19.
Clarence House confirmed last week Prince Charles, 71, was displaying mild symptoms “but otherwise remains in good health”.
The Duchess of Cornwall had also been tested but does not have the virus. The prince and the duchess are now self-isolating at home in Scotland.
It is believed the footman is the second Buckingham Palace aide who tested positive for COVID-19, after it was revealed the worker tested positive before the Queen left for Windsor.
Queen leaves Buckingham Palace amid virus outbreak
On March 15 it was reported the Queen was leaving Buckingham Palace and was taken to Windsor Castle with plans in place to quarantine her and Prince Philip, 98, should it be required.
The monarch had already cancelled all her travel plans and upcoming engagements as the virus continued to spread across the UK.
While she is in good health, staff thought it was best relocate her, The Sun reported at the time.
“The Queen has met a lot of people there until recently. But she is weeks away from her 94th birthday and advisers believe it is best to get her out of harm’s way,” the source said.
At 93 years old, she would be a high-risk patient if she contracts the illness, as would her husband Prince Philip, who retired from royal duties in 2017 and has had numerous health problems in recent years.
First royal dies from coronavirus
The Spanish royal family confirmed the world’s first royal death from coronavirus, just months after the virus was first detected in Wuhan, China.
Princess Maria Teresa of Spain died on Friday after testing positive for COVID-19 in a first for royals across the globe.
The Princess was 86-years-old and another victim of the crisis which has already claimed thousands of Spanish lives and left hospitals overwhelmed.
The death was announced by Princess Maria’s younger brother Prince Sixtus Henry of Bourbon-Parma on Facebook.
Got a story tip or just want to get in touch? Email us at email@example.com.