Prince Philip's crash victim says roads are 'safer' after he gives up license

Prince Philip’s car crash victim Emma Fairweather has claimed the “roads will be safer now” after the Duke of Edinburgh decided to give up his driver’s license.

Her comments comes after Buckingham Palace revealed that the 97-year-old has chosen to surrender his license just weeks after his scary crash into Emma’s car – which left her with a broken wrist.

“After careful consideration, the Duke of Edinburgh has taken the decision to voluntarily surrender his driving licence,” a statement from Buckingham Palace said.

Prince Philip has given up his driver’s license and his car crash victim Emma is happy to hear about his decision. Photo: Getty

He surrendered his licence on Saturday, a spokeswoman added to enquiring press.

After the announcement, mum-of-two Emma told the Sunday Mirror: “He’s making the most sensible decision he can.

“It’s a shame he didn’t make it a bit sooner but it’s the right thing to do.

“Undoubtedly the roads will be safer now. It won’t have been easy for him to make as it is a loss of independence. But he can work around it.”

The UK mum was taken to hospital with injuries to her arm after their collision last month. Photo: Sunrise

She said she had done “nothing but cry” this week after having an operation to screw a metal plate into her arm.

The Duke of Edinburgh has surrendered his driving licence after being involved in a crash and then being spotted behind the wheel without a seatbelt.

He apologised for his part in an accident on the Sandringham estate in Norfolk when his Land Rover Freelander collided with another car on January 17, leaving two women needing hospital treatment.

But 48 hours after the crash he was pictured driving without a seatbelt, prompting criticism.

Got a story tip? Send it to lifestyle.tips@verizonmedia.com

Want more lifestyle and celebrity news? Follow Yahoo Lifestyle on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Or sign up to our daily newsletter here.