Page 1 of 1
Sort By:
Newest First
Oldest First
Practical Parenting
19 Jul 2012

Sign in to report this post.

Posted Fri 20 Jul 2012 13:55

Got a toddler nutritional question that’s got you worried? Dietitian and PP expert, Kate Di Prima, will be answering your questions in our online forum next Tuesday. Post your questions for Kate below and click through to the forum next Tuesday to see her answers!

CeeCee
19 Jul 2012

Posted Fri 20 Jul 2012 15:37
Hi Kate,
How can my little girl get all the necessary vitamins and minerals a 2year old should be getting?

Christine
17 Dec 2008

Posted Fri 20 Jul 2012 15:59

I am seeking advice about the fat content of my 12 month old's diet. We generally use low fat dairy for family foods, and I have been reading about how such a large percentage of our intake of saturated fats come from dairy. Now that he is joining in family meals,I am wondering whether our youngest can join in with low fat dairy, provided he is getting plenty of healthy fats through such things as fish, avocado and plant based oils (and if so, how much would be enough)? I understand that the reason for recommending full fat dairy for this age group is their increased energy needs, but can't help but wonder if these needs could be met through healthy fats?
Sahz
21 Jul 2012

Posted Sat 21 Jul 2012 01:36
My little girl just turned, she's healthy, happy and very energetic. She has always eaten well, not a big eater, a nibbler, so u try to give her something every couple of hours. Lately lucky if she takes 10 spoonfuls, she has learnt to take the food out of her mouth with her hand and give it back. Tonight I went back to mashing 3-4 veggies and she had a bit of that. She is on full cows milk. Has a little bottle before night sleep, 1 bottle during night and one in the morning; which she sometimes drinks the lot. Water throughout the day, she loves it. I just want to know she is getting enough vitamins and minerals for a healthy growth. She weighs just over 9 kilo. Also am I giving enough milk; the bottles are around 200-220ml. Any good toddler food idea books out there I could cook? Cheers , really appreciate it.
Ceinwen
19 Dec 2008

Posted Mon 23 Jul 2012 11:42

Hi Kate,
Just wondering how much milk/formula my son should be drinking. He's just turned 1 and weighs 10kg. He has 3 meals  plus snacks and currently drinks 3x 200ml bottles of formula per day. Should I be reducing the amount he drinks and encourage him to eat more food? He also drinks water throughout the day. Thankyou
Practical Parenting
19 Jul 2012

Posted Mon 23 Jul 2012 11:46
Practical Parenting
19 Jul 2012

Posted Mon 23 Jul 2012 11:49
What foods effect a childs behaviour? and im speaking about the general diet, not confectionary! my near 13 month old son son eats very healthily and only eats fruit and vegies
From Tracie Newton via Practical Parenting's facebook page
Practical Parenting
19 Jul 2012

Posted Mon 23 Jul 2012 11:53
What kind of diet should my one year old follow? I don't know if the food pyramid is still current and or where to find some good guidelines to follow?
From Lucy Lamont on Practical Parenting's facebook page
Practical Parenting
19 Jul 2012

Posted Mon 23 Jul 2012 11:54
I've weaned my one year old off bottled milk, but he still has cows milk 4 times a day. When and how should I decrease this?
From Lucy Lamont on Practical Parenting's facebook page
Jeff

Posted Mon 23 Jul 2012 12:10
Hi Kate, thanks for your time,
I have a couple of questions.
  • Firstly my 6 month old has just started solids and is breastfeeding. She has a huge problem with constipation, she also did in the early weeks of breastfeeding. Are there any other solutions rather than coloxyl, I have also tried orange juice, prune juice - puree etc, but coloxyl is the only thing that provides the help she needs.
  • Secondly my nearly 4 year old suffered from severe GORD til the age of 3 and now I have a very difficult time getting her to eat. I know this is a complicated issue but Is there any advice you can give to help?
Thanks alot, Krista...
Louise
01 Feb 2013

Posted Mon 23 Jul 2012 13:58
Hi Kate, my 13 month old is a very small eater, ever since he turned one his appetite has decreased significantly. He eats 3 meals a day, 2 snacks and two bottles of cows milk and he also drinks a few sips of water with each meal. However breakfast is the only meal he eats well. He'll only let me spoon feed him small amounts and prefers to feed himself, however it seems as if the floor gets more food than he does as he takes a few bites and chucks the rest on the floor. He's not losing weight and his output each day seems adequate. He's certainly not underweight as he was born in the 95th percentile of height and weight and has stayed in this area his whole life. I'd just like to know how much should a 13 month old be eating and drinking? And since he is such a small eater what are some tips to ensure the food he does eat is nutritious and meeting his daily needs?
Practical Parenting
19 Jul 2012

Posted Mon 23 Jul 2012 14:43
my nearly 2 year old wont drink milk and has gone off yogurt. I give her heaps of cheese mixed into everything i can and she will have custard, but i'm worried she isn't getting enough calcium.
From Dan&Bec Witts via Practical Parenting's facebook page
Practical Parenting
19 Jul 2012

Posted Mon 23 Jul 2012 14:44
How can we get our nearly 2 year old to actually chew his food? He is reluctant to eat chunky food and we nearly always have to mash up his food.
From Chantal Hildyard via Practical Parenting's facebook page
Practical Parenting
19 Jul 2012

Posted Mon 23 Jul 2012 14:45
My kids get SO constipated. It's a fight to get them to eat fruit. Any tips to help them #$%$br>From Josephine Ingle via Practical Parenting's facebook page
Practical Parenting
19 Jul 2012

Posted Mon 23 Jul 2012 14:49
My 16mo eats anything and seems to want food all the time. I am worried I am feeding him too much food? Is there some guide? What is an average serve for his age?
From Nyssa Geary via Practical Parenting's facebook page
Practical Parenting
19 Jul 2012

Posted Mon 23 Jul 2012 14:52
If I put a fruit platter together for my 16mo he eats the whole thing in now time. He regularly shoves food in his mouth (so much he can't fit any more in) is this normal? we are trying to teach small bites, but it concerns me.
From Nyssa Geary via Practical Parenting's facebook page
Practical Parenting
19 Jul 2012

Posted Mon 23 Jul 2012 14:57
My 2yro has severe allergies and intolerances and is mainly on neocate, rice, apple&pear. She reacts most to vegies and meats, but now refuses the vegies she can eat. How can we encourage her to try thing or is it her bodies way of saying foods don't agree with her?
From Emily Hrudicka via Practical Parenting's facebook page
Practical Parenting
19 Jul 2012

Posted Mon 23 Jul 2012 17:02
Hi Kate. My 17mth old's immune system has been really weak lately and he gets sick all the time. Every week! What foods (or vitamins) would you suggest to help boost his Immune system? Thank you.
From Renata Barbosa via Practical Parenting's facebook page
Practical Parenting
19 Jul 2012

Posted Tue 24 Jul 2012 08:43
I'm worried my 2 year old is becoming overweight. He is always wanting food and we often give in to stop the tantrums. It's mostly healthy food, except for the toast and peanut butter and dry biscuits ( cruskits etc). He eats loads of fruit, but maybe too much. Any suggestions for curbing his appetite? Thanks.
From Emma Maslen via Practical Parenting's facebook page
Practical Parenting - Pfizer S26
04 Jul 2012

Posted Wed 25 Jul 2012 15:12

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for submitting your questions! There are a few topics that seem to be causing particular confusion for mums out there. So to give each of you as much information as possible, I’ve tried to provide answers that address the different types of questions we received.

We had so many great questions, and we’ve tried to answer as many as possible. But if these haven’t answered your question, re-post and I’ll aim to get back to you in the next few weeks!

Kate

Practical Parenting - Pfizer S26
04 Jul 2012

Posted Wed 25 Jul 2012 15:19

Hi CeeCee, Lucy, Louise, Nyssa and Emma, this response should help answer your questions on vitamins and minerals and serving sizes.

It can be difficult to know exactly how much your toddler needs at different ages and growth stages. Getting the right balance of energy and nutrients, such as vitamins and minerals, is important to ensure they have a healthy start in life. Children will often tell you when they have had enough or want more; however the trick is providing the right quantity and quality of nutrients, ensuring healthy growth and development. Your toddler’s daily intake can also differ quite a bit from day to day so their balance of nutrients from foods is assessed over a week rather than from one particular day.

As a general rule, try to give your toddler 3-4 serves of fruit and vegetables per day where one serve is approximately a small apple, half a pear, ¼ cup cooked vegetables or 10  grapes. Offer 2 serves of calcium-rich dairy or an alternative such as yoghurt (200g) or cheese (40g), a serve of iron-rich protein such as meat, chicken, fish (30g) and egg or ½ cup of legumes. Try to offer wholegrain or wholemeal breads, crackers or breakfast cereal to increase their fibre intake. Variety is the key to achieving a great balance of nutrients.

ForumsToddlers and ChildrenQ&A with Kate Di Prima