How long did you breastfeed?

ForumsBaby stuff – The first 12 monthsHow long did you breastfeed?
Page 1 of 2
Sort By:
Newest First
Oldest First
Miss Parker
21 Jun 2010

Sign in to report this post.

Posted Wed 09 Mar 2011 16:44

I am just wondering how long you breastfed for? I have just seen the poll on the pp site and was very suprised to see that almost 30% of women breast fed for 19 months +

This was much higher than I thought!

I was only to breastfeed for 6 months with my son and then he was no longer satisfied with breastmilk alone.

How long did you breastfeed? And why did you stop when you did?

Tanya
31 Mar 2010

Posted Wed 09 Mar 2011 17:26

DD was exclusively breastfed for 6 months, then I kept expressing at work until she was 9 months, then just fed directly when I was home until she was about 18 months and she self-weaned.

Very few babies would be satisfied with just breastmilk after 6 months - we started solids at that point, on top of all her regular breastfeeds. 

Polly-lou
31 Mar 2010

Posted Wed 09 Mar 2011 20:18

I wrote my story in another thread. I BF DS1 for 3 months and started comp feeding DS2 at 6 weeks.

I had some serious supply issues.
Lynn
31 Mar 2010

Posted Mon 14 Mar 2011 00:21

I had issues too so only made it to 3/4 months.
nes...

Posted Mon 14 Mar 2011 02:00

I breastfed my daughter until she was 9mths old, she breastfed just fine, I had no issues but after introducing solids to her at 4mths old, she found solids more and more satifying.. she still wanted to breastfeed but after about 6mths I expressed milk for her day feeds, and breastfed at nite, but that was because she would get really restless whilst feeding and a normal feed could take up to an hour or more... sh could not get comfortable and would continually squirm and kick which was not good for either of us, whereas if I expressed my milk she would drink it down within 15mins, and was much happier.   
Jude Griggs
23 Feb 2011

Posted Mon 14 Mar 2011 09:35

When i had my sons in the 70's bottle feeding was the thing. So when my daughters came along, i breastfed my eldest for two and half years andgave up feeding so i could fall pregnant again. My yougest daughter i breastfed for three and a half years as i knew at 35 she was going to be my lasy baby. I stopped feeding her so she would not fret when she went to kindy. They are both in their twenties and cringe when it is spoken of now.
Robyn
17 Dec 2008

Posted Mon 14 Mar 2011 15:28

Both my children were BF for 12mths, however, I did introduce solids at around the 4-6mth mark also.  They weaned at 12mths which was sad for me, but they really didn't have the interest in it anymore.  I was lucky to have had children who attached well and fed relativley easily.  It is a learnt behaviour and can be very challenging at times.  I encourage all mothers to BF if they are able to do so, but realise that there are a large proportion of mothers who cannot for a number of reasons and they shouldn't be made to feel as though they are an inferior breed of mother to those who are lucky enought to BF successfully.
Tiffany
21 Dec 2008

Posted Mon 14 Mar 2011 15:32

I am still breatfeeding and my son is nearly 12 months, he loves the milk. He still eats solids...... though atm everytime he needs to go to sleep at night he needs BM..... Which is a pain for me but i do anything for my little boy and if that means holding off on everything than thats fine.
JahyiK
09 Oct 2008

Posted Mon 14 Mar 2011 15:32

I breast fed my baby for 12 months.

I only stopped it as my baby kept crying as she was not full ie still hungry. So I breastfed the baby and also gave my baby some formula which she had until she was satisfied.

I think that regardless of how much you want to breastfeed the baby, your body might not produce the desired amount. So you really can not do much but just let the body produce the amount that it can and just do what you can.

Jahyi
Hope
09 Oct 2008

Posted Mon 14 Mar 2011 15:36

My little one is 6 months and still breastfeeding. Hope to make it to 12 months.
Just started "solids" via baby led weaning at 6 months
Kristie
22 Dec 2008

Posted Mon 14 Mar 2011 15:36
14 months. I only stopped because she didn't want to feed anymore.  One day she just turned her head away.  As she was on solids and drinking cows milk I was more than happy to get my breasts back!
Toby

Posted Mon 14 Mar 2011 16:09
I fed for over two years, I never assumed I would do so because it was just so hard for the first 6 months but once we got over that hump it was such a rewarding thing to do for my daughter. I was so proud that she had grown so beautifully just with milk from my body.....amazing. 
Angie

Posted Mon 14 Mar 2011 16:41
I breastfed my daughter till she was two and a half.  There were times during the early months when I thought that I was doing something wrong as at times it felt like my daughter was feeding constantly....but after talking to other breastfeeding Moms it reassured me.  My girl doesn't drink cows milk now as it's not something she's ever expressed a desire for.  I decided before I even thought of having a child that I would breasffeed for at least 12 months & that was something that I was not prepared to compromise on, as it happens we went a lot longer than that.
Erica
17 Dec 2008

Posted Mon 14 Mar 2011 17:25
I breastfed for over 6 years in total. First child till she turned three and her brother until he was almost 4. I tandem fed until my youngest was 7 months old (he was born when my daughter was 2 and a half). My daughter was exclusively BF until 6 months and my son exclusively BF until 9 months. They are now 5 and a half and almost 8 years old.
Caro
17 Dec 2008

Posted Mon 14 Mar 2011 17:39

I breast fed all four of mine for approx 12 months. My reasons were it was the healthy natural thing to do. But I discovered it was easier too. My eldest one couldn't seem to get how to do it, even getting dehydrated because I was determined not to bottle feed. So in the end, I had to express and bottle feed, whilst trying the breast first at every feed. Just as I was about to give up (6 weeks) he finally got it. The freedom thereafter from sterilising bottles, and always having food on tap no matter where you were, felt amazing.
They're all smart too. All have either been to, are going through, or about to start, university. Two of them were dux at high school.
Cherie
29 Oct 2009

Posted Mon 14 Mar 2011 17:44
Breastfeeding, if you are able, is Best!  I breastfed both of my sons for one year.  They Never were ill a day in their lives and were both tested in school and had gifted I.Q.'s.  Now when the baby is a child, I think it's high time to wean!  I had a friend that breastfed until her baby was 4 years old!  That's just crazy!  The baby only needs those extra nutrients for so long!  It also helps shrink the uterus and helps get your body back in shape faster!  :D
sandra
09 Oct 2008

Posted Mon 14 Mar 2011 18:01
I brestfed my son till the age of 2, and still breastfeeding my 15 month old girl.
My son, is extremely intelligent, didn't know it could have anything to do with breastfeeding just thought these days kids are getting smarter but he is really good at numbers and reading and he is only 3 and a half, my friend who also brestfed her son, is even smarter as he was reading at 3 and is also very good at maths.
My daughter apart from being child number two is also really good and by the way they never ever get sick, and it was so much cheaper than buying formula and easier. However, not everyone is in the position of being able to breastfeed, their godparents don't have that choice and unfortunately they miss out on all the benefits.. if you have a choice make an effort to breastfeed not only do you have that bond, but now they have benefits too!!!!
ste...

Posted Mon 14 Mar 2011 18:10
Sadly, I only managed 1-2 months with both my babies. My breasts are just not designed for the purpose, it seems! I expressed and bottle-fed them the breast milk for that time. The midwife told me not to put my son on my breasts to feed due to the terribly damaged state of them. I was quite emotional and distraught that I couldn't continue to provide breastmilk for my kids, but life goes on!
Aggi
17 Dec 2008

Posted Mon 14 Mar 2011 19:10
First-born for 4 years and second-born for 3 1/2 years.
Karina
09 Oct 2008

Posted Mon 14 Mar 2011 20:18

I'm still breastfeeding my 18 month old son..and wish to continue until he is at least 2..
Fee

Posted Mon 14 Mar 2011 20:19

My first daughter I breast fed for 18 months she climed off my lap one day and said no thankyou and that was the end of the breast feeding for her she only wanted a cup after that.  My second daughter I breastfed for 23 months and I think she would have happily breastfed till she was a teen I had I given her the chance :-) (but I didnt of course) I felt it should she should see it as her choice to give up so I painted bitter bite on my nipples  (thats the stuff you put on nails to stop bitting them) and she thought that my milk didnt taste nice anymore so she gave up and went straight to a cup.  My oldest is now 12 and youngest 9 and they are both avid readers extemely good spellers my oldest has a talent for languages aand my youngest is good with numbers not sure how much influence the breast feeding had with that but I did enjoy the benefits of if being free as well as that special time I shared with them which I will always fondly remember

Jackie
17 Dec 2008

Posted Mon 14 Mar 2011 20:32
I have 5 children and breastfed for a total of 10 years. My second son was weaned at 6 months due to medical advice, and this was the shortest period I fed for. He has been the sickest of my children throughout their childhood and teen years, having suffered chronic tonsillitis, having to have his appendix out, and having significant food sensitivities.
Pasa
09 Oct 2008

Posted Mon 14 Mar 2011 20:38
  1. Hi, I didn't breastfeed obviously but my wife breastfed our daughter for 3 years and our son for 2 years. Breast is best and breastfeed as long as you can if able to.
ruby
17 Jan 2009

Posted Mon 14 Mar 2011 20:59
I Breast fedd for almost 3 years and my son weaned himself!!!! He is a very happy and an extreamely confident boy!!!! I refused to listen to all most every one giving me uninvited advise on my breast feeding!! I Have raised my child on instinct!!!!! 
SJ

Posted Mon 14 Mar 2011 22:37
Fed my 1st child for 18 months, 2nd child 2.5 yrs and then 3rd child for 3.5 yrs
ForumsBaby stuff – The first 12 monthsHow long did you breastfeed?