How to: Check your moles for skin cancer

December 30, 2011, 12:00 amnewidea

Not sure what to look for when it comes to skin cancer? Here are our best mole patrol tips.

How to: Check for skin cancer
Health

While you may be aware of the importance of checking yourself and your family’s moles to detect possible skin cancers, do you really know what you’re looking for?

Follow the ABCDE guide:

Asymmetry: Moles that, if divided in half, are not the same on both sides.

Border: Moles with edges that are jagged like a coastline.

Colour: Moles gaining or losing colour, or multicoloured.

Diameter: Moles more than 1/2cm in diameter (especially if uneven colour).

Evolution: Moles that have changed size, shape, colour or risen.

If you have concerns about any of these, see your doctor immediately, and visit http://www.melanomaawarenessfoundation.org/info for more information.

HEALTH: How to: Avoid weight gain this Christmas

HEALTH: How to: Put a stop to bad breath

1. Joseph12:25am Thursday 05th January 2012 ESTReport Abuse

The latest demographic for melanoma says office-workers , who rarely see the sun are contracting it the most !!.....and the explanation is because they receive no UVB rays , which is the greatest melanoma prevention of all ; and are most prevalent during that most burny part of the day the so-called experts advise us to avoid sun exposure ... Who loves ya kids ... Just keep swallowing it

2. Philip08:56pm Wednesday 04th January 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Are they talking about skin cancer or melanoma here.I think they are talking about melanoma. They both might be on the skin but one grows very dangerous roots.The cancer council often seems to equate them. Phil

3. Fly08:21pm Wednesday 04th January 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Stanley Pendletonis is not jerk. He is guy lover.

4. Margaret07:53pm Wednesday 04th January 2012 ESTReport Abuse

I had a Melanoma on my arm. I ignored my "age spot" until it grew two little eyes. I was very fortunate they only needed to take a chunk our of my arm. Cool scar, I use it to scare people into getting their spots checked regularly by their doctors. Apart from the "age spot" I had no symptoms, and it was on the back of my arm so I didn't normally notice it. (11 years and counting).

5. Julie06:59pm Wednesday 04th January 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Seriously EVERY TIME I go to get a mole removed they ALWAYS try to tell me that I don't need it removed and that it's fine and after having to convince them that I need them to do it the lab results ALWAYS come back abnormal!!! And my dad had melanoma and they know that!!! So unprofessional, what do they care if they are removing a mole that might be fine?? I'm still paying for it!!!

6. brent06:16pm Wednesday 04th January 2012 ESTReport Abuse

I have a freckle in the middle of my a$$ hole. Once or twice a day it expands for a few seconds. Is this ok?

7. 0 21
    mandy m04:26pm Wednesday 04th January 2012 ESTReport Abuse

I agree it is hard to get doctors to check moles especialy when all you get are locums and it is very expensive to see specalists when you have to travel for hours to get to one then add the cost of his or her services on top

8. Allan03:21pm Wednesday 04th January 2012 ESTReport Abuse

In response to Bec, check your local Skin Cancer clinic, most Bulk Bill. Get checked, it is not something to ignore, I have personal experience from this :-(

9. T M02:11pm Wednesday 04th January 2012 ESTReport Abuse

yeah Bec its a bit pricey, i go to a scan type place, its $85, once a year, but i think thats good insurance

10. mg.kids201:59pm Wednesday 04th January 2012 ESTReport Abuse

we need more freeeeeeeeee clinics.