After months of her family’s name making headlines around the country, Natalie Joyce has broken her silence about husband Barnaby Joyce’s affair, new baby, and TV appearance.
In an interview with the Australian Women’s Weekly, the mother-of-four admitted that she needed to “find her voice” and would no longer remain silent on the matter.
After it was revealed the former deputy prime minister was having an affair with his press secretary, Vikki Campion, news then broke in February that the pair were expecting a baby.
In a statement at the time, Natalie said she was “deeply saddened by the news that my husband has been having an affair”.
While she has remained silent since then, for the sake of her four daughters, Bridgette, 21, Julia, 20, Caroline, 18, and Odette, 15, Natalie decided she wanted to “set the record straight”.
“I’m doing this so the girls feel empowered, and know their mum stood up and defended our fine name,” Natalie told AWW.
There was a lot of controversy surrounding the new couple’s exclusive interview with Channel Seven’s Sunday Night program earlier this month, particularly around the $150,000 they were paid for the tell-all.
Natalie has slammed the interview as “an absolute disgrace” and said she was furious that their four girls were completely “overlooked”.
“I wasn’t surprised she sold their ‘exclusive’ story… but it begs the question, if Barney agreed to be a part of it, how could he allow his four girls to be overlooked,” Natalie told the publication.
“In saying that, I wouldn’t want a cent of that money. It was all we could do to watch it without throwing a brick at the TV!”
The whole saga saw Barnaby resign as deputy prime minister, but Natalie doesn’t think it’s over, believing her husband is on the brink of an inevitable breakdown.
Natalie agreed to do an unpaid interview with AWW as part of their issue honouring rural women.
Got a story tip? Send it to email@example.com