Nadal to miss French Open, likely to retire in 2024
STORY: Tennis great Rafa Nadal has withdrawn from the French Open for the first time in nearly two decades and announced plans to retire after the 2024 season.
“My ambition is to try to stop to give myself an opportunity to enjoy next year which probably is going to be my last year in a professional tour.”
The former world number one, at a news conference in Mallorca on Thursday,
said his hip injury at the Australian Open in January has made it impossible for him to compete at the French tournament, also called the Roland-Garros.
Nadal has competed in it every year since 2005 and taken more titles there than any other player at any major,
winning 112 of his 115 matches there.
The 22-time Grand Slam winner says he hopes to make a full recovery and return for what he anticipates will be his final season.
“The Olympic Games is one of the competitions that I would love to be in, you know. I hope to be there. If it is going to be my last tournament or not, I can't say.”
The tournament begins at the end of the month.