But what Bec didn’t count on was just how flammable that cake topper might be.
Sharing a video of the family singing Happy Birthday to a very excited Luella, smiles soon turned to shrieks – and a terrified dog being scooped up - when the cake topper quickly caught alight.
“We're not big cake eaters, but what's a birthday without cake, right?” Bec captioned her post.
“Found the cute little kmart unicorn cake topper, but didnt think too much about the candle placement... whoops!”
With the cake quickly rushed to the sink and the danger extinguished, the family saw the funny side to it – as did other mums who watched the video.
“If it makes you feel better I set my boobs on fire lighting my twins cakes last week,” commented one.
“Haha this happened to my daughters bday cake and unicorn decorations too!!!” added another.
Got a story tip? Send it to email@example.com