Mum claims Kmart scales exploded in front of her child

An outraged mum has slammed Kmart after claiming her glass bathroom scales suddenly exploded, just two inches away from her five-year-old son.

Mum-of-one Kelly Maggs claims she was left traumatised afters sharp shards of glass apparently flew in all directions.

The 25-year-old from Sydney, claims to have purchased the $15 scales from her local Kmart store in Parramatta, Sydney, in 2014, and said they had served her well for the last five years until this ‘shocking’ incident.

An outraged mum has slammed Kmart after claiming her glass bathroom scales suddenly exploded, just two inches away from her five-year-old son. Photo: Caters News

The mum said she had called her son Liam into the bathroom for a shower earlier this week, when the youngster allegedly ‘walked past’ the scales, which Kelly claims then ‘randomly exploded’ all over her bathroom floor – with shards even littering the nearby hallway.

“It was incredibly loud. It sounded like a someone throwing a glass onto the ground with force,” Kelly said.

“It scared us both so much. I didn’t know what was happening.

“My son was only standing about two inches away from them when they exploded. I was just so thankful he wasn’t hurt, he was really lucky.

“There were glass shards all around him. So, I just quickly picked him and popped him straight in the bath so he wouldn’t step on any sharp pieces.”

Mum-of-one Kelly Maggs claims she was left traumatised afters sharp shards of glass apparently flew in all directions. Photo: Caters News

Thankfully, Kelly and her son were not harmed in the ‘explosion’ – but the distressed mum is now urging Kmart to undertake a massive recall of the popular bathroom scales so that ‘nobody gets seriously injured’ in the future.

“You’d never expect that to happen. I just want to get the warning out there, as some others might not have been so lucky,” she said.

“That night I couldn’t sleep because I had so many dramatic thoughts running through my head.

“Like what if it had cut his ankle or sliced a major artery and he bled out. It’s so scary.”

Kelly said she reached out to Kmart who offered her a refund and replacement, however the mum said she would not be purchasing any more bathroom scales from the major Australian retailer.

A spokesperson for Kmart has said that these type of bathroom scales are safe, explaining that this ‘explosion’ will occur if the scales are ‘chipped or compromised’ in order to ‘reduce the risk of serious injury’.

A spokesperson for Kmart has said that these type of bathroom scales are safe, explaining that this ‘explosion’ will occur if the scales are ‘chipped or compromised’ in order to ‘reduce the risk of serious injury’. Photo: Caters News

“At Kmart we’re committed to ensuring the products we sell are fully compliant with regulations and safety standards, which is why all of our scales have been independently tested by third party laboratories,” a Kmart spokesperson said.

“Our Slimline Glass Digital Bathroom Scales are manufactured from tempered safety glass which means the glass, if chipped or compromised in any way, will break into small fragments to reduce the risk of serious injury – in some cases this gives the customer the perception of the glass exploding.”

Kelly has since hit back at Kmart’s response, claiming that her bathroom scales were not ‘chipped or compromised’.

“Mine did not completely break into small fragments as there was quite a few big chunks left,” she said.

“Also, if this is supposed to happen, they need to give us consumers more warning on the packaging and in the manual provided.”

Got a story tip? Send it to lifestyle.tips@verizonmedia.com

Want more lifestyle and celebrity news? Follow Yahoo Lifestyle on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Or sign up to our daily newsletter here.