Met officers under criminal investigation over Taser balcony death
Two Metropolitan Police officers are under criminal investigation after a Tasered man fell five storeys to his death from a balcony.
The male was threatening to jump from a block of flats on Rye Hill Park in Peckham, south London, just before 1.30am on Wednesday, April 12.
Despite extensive efforts by the Met, he is yet to be formally identified.
The Independent Office for Police Conduct has advised two officers they will be criminally investigated for gross negligence manslaughter. One of them is further being probed for unlawful act manslaughter.
They have also been served with gross misconduct notices for potentially breaching police standards of professional behaviour.
The police watchdog previously asked the force why it wasn’t until five or six hours later during a routine post-incident procedure that one officer admitted the stun gun had been discharged.
The IOPC began their investigation on April 12, with body-worn video footage being secured and reviewed and Taser downloads due to be analysed.
The watchdog said they have also made inquiries with neighbours and spoken with a witness, as well as making CCTV footage inquiries.
IOPC director Amanda Rowe said: “Our thoughts are with the man who died and we sincerely hope that he is formally identified and that his family are able to be notified.
“This was a tragic incident and we recognise that the circumstances surrounding the man’s death have understandably caused concern within the community.
“Our enquiries are still in their early stages and it’s important that we carry out a thorough, independent investigation that will be looking at the full circumstances, including the actions and decision-making of the officers who were present.
“Police officers are able to use force in the course of their duties and we will examine whether any force that was used was reasonable, appropriate and proportionate in these circumstances.
“Following the conclusion of our investigation, we will decide whether to refer the matter to the Crown Prosecution Service for a charging decision and we will determine whether any officers should face disciplinary proceedings.”
A date for the man’s inquest opening has not yet been set.