Man fatally shot after he 'told police I want to die'

·3-min read

When police arrived at his home, Damon Paul William Savage answered the door holding two large kitchen knives.

"Are you ready or what?" he asked.

Minutes later Mr Savage was shot a total of eight times after walking toward police with a knife yelling "I want to die bro", a pre-inquest hearing has heard.

Counsel assisting Sarah Lane said Mr Savage was a recovering ice addict and struggling with his mental health before the August 2020 incident north of Brisbane.

He was seen crashing his partner's car before driving off with "tyres screeching" two days before his death, she said.

Mr Savage - who was unlicensed at the time - had missed an appointment with a drug and alcohol service earlier that day.

When officers arrived at Mr Savage's Dakabin residence that night, his partner told them he was "not in a good head space" and organised to take him to the station the next day.

After police left, Mr Savage demanded the car keys from his partner and hit her  head when she refused.

The next day the partner reported the incident to police, telling them Mr Savage's mental health was deteriorating.

Later that night she was awoken by a crash before Mr Savage demanded her phone because he wanted to call the police.

After punching her in the ribs, he called triple zero at 12.05am on August 27 2020 and began screaming "get cars here c****", Ms Lane said.

He told the operator he had a knife, that he needed to get the police there and that the "door was open for them".

Mr Savage cut his partner on the leg and foot and slashed his own leg, Ms Lane said.

The partner left the house and was taken in by an off-duty officer across the road who was already calling triple zero.

Mr Savage went over to the off-duty officer's house with a large knife in each hand, stabbing the security screen and screaming before leaving.

When two officers arrived at his home, Mr Savage answered the door holding the knives saying "are you ready or what" a couple of times.

He stepped out of the house screaming "shoot me c****" as officers told him to put down the knives.

He threw one blade away but kept yelling at officers to shoot him, saying: "I want to die, bro".

Officers had drawn their handguns as he walked towards them waving the knife when another police vehicle arrived.

Mr Savage was tasered but he kept advancing towards police with the knife yelling obscenities.

Two officers fired eight shots between them.

An ambulance arrived at 12.35am but Mr Savage was pronounced dead less than 20 minutes later.

Ms Lane said an inquest at a date to be fixed would investigate whether use of lethal force was in accordance with Queensland Police Service policy, whether any other options could have been taken and also look at the subsequent ethical standards probe.

Lifeline 13 11 14

beyondblue 1300 22 4636