When it comes to cupcakes, there's nothing like Magnolia Bakery's classic vanilla cupcake. It's the treat that started the cupcake craze, so we went inside its bakery in LA to learn the technique to making perfectly delicious cupcakes. Watch the video now to see how it's done.
From Magnolia Bakery
The recipe in the video shows a mixing method that is more appropriate for larger batches. Home bakers should follow the recipe below for best results.
- For the cupcakes:
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour, such as Aunt Jemima
1 1/4 cups cake flour, such as Pure as Snow
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature, cubed
1 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
- For the frosting:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 box (4 cups) powdered sugar
2-3 tablespoons whole milk
- Make the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F degrees. Line 2 cupcake pans with paper liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the self-rising flour, cake flour, and sugar. Using the paddle attachment, mix for 2 minutes on low speed. With the mixer on low speed add the butter one cube at a time, do not rush. Mix until it's a sand-like texture.
- Combine the milk and vanilla, and add 1/2 of the mixture to the batter. Scrape the bowl and mix on medium speed for 1 minute. Slowly add the eggs and the rest of the milk mixture to the bowl on low speed. Scrape bowl and continue mixing for 1-2 minutes.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared cupcake pans.
- Bake for 23 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Make the frosting: Cream the butter in a large mixing bowl. Add the vanilla. Gradually add the powdered sugar one cup at a time. Scrape down sides of bowl often. When the mixture starts to thicken and appears dry add 2 tablespoons of milk. Beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy about 2-4 minutes. Add more milk as needed if you want a thinner consistency. If desired, add a few drops of food coloring and mix thoroughly.
- Frost the cupcakes with an offset spatula.
Yield Makes 2 dozen cupcakes