‘Madness’: Cops slam man’s ‘brazen’ act
A man’s “brazen” act outside court has stunned police as they make sweeping raids across Melbourne’s east after a man was shot.
Emergency services were called to Alice St in Clayton shortly before 2am on February 25 following reports a man had been shot in the torso.
A 33-year-old Bentleigh East man was treated at the scene before being taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
A man and woman who were also inside the home at the time of the shooting were not harmed.
In the months following, Victorian police have made sweeping arrests across the city’s east, with four people now facing a range of charges.
Armed crime squad detectives closed in on a 29-year-old Glen Waverley man on Wednesday after he attended court for unrelated matters.
Police allege the man, who is subject to a firearms prohibition order, arrived at court in a stolen Holden Commodore.
During a search of the sedan, officers allegedly uncovered a loaded semiautomatic handgun with a single magazine.
State Anti-Gangs Division Superintendent Jason Kelly said he was shocked by the man’s “brazen” behaviour.
“This is just madness,” he said.
“It never ceases to amaze me that some people seem to think they can operate above the law, but this takes the cake.
“What an insult it is to our justice system that someone can be so brazen – turning up to court in an allegedly stolen vehicle and in possession of a gun, drugs, and cash.”
The man has since been charged with a range of drug, firearm, and property offences.
During their search, police claim to have also discovered a large quantity of cash, stolen or false identity documents, a homemade conducted electronic device and various drugs, including ecstasy, GHB and steroids.
Specialist police also launched a second raid on Wednesday at a Blackburn home, arresting a 29-year-old man and 23-year-old woman.
A search of the home allegedly unearthed a cache of drugs, including GHB, methylamphetamine and cannabis.
An allegedly stolen Ducati motorcycle and a quantity of cash was also seized by specialist police.
The man has since been charged with drug and dishonesty offences, while the woman was taken to hospital suffering the effects of drug use.
The arrests come after a 30-year-old man was arrested in Seabrook on May 4 charged with allegedly carrying out an armed home invasion.
The man was remanded into custody to appear before the Melbourne Magistrates Court as he faces further charges of recklessly endangering life, aggravated burglary, intentionally causing serious injury, and possessing a loaded firearm while subject to a prohibition order.
Police also seized a safe and a white Audi from an address in Mount Waverley.
All four people charged were remanded into custody to appear before various Melbourne courts next month.