Preparation time: 15m
Cooking time: 15m
▪ Soft butter for greasing
▪ 2 tablespoons caster sugar
▪ 200g eating quality dark chocolate, chopped
▪ 50g butter, chopped
▪ 4 egg yolks
▪ 7 egg whites
▪ ¼ cup (55g) caster sugar, extra
▪ Vanilla ice cream and sifted cocoa or icing sugar to serve (optional)
1. Preheat oven to moderately hot (200’C/180’C fan-forced).
2. Brush the inside of 6-8 x ½ cup (125ml capacity) ovenproof dishes with soft butter. Place
sugar into one of the dishes, turn dish to coat base and side. Tip excess sugar into next
dish; repeat with all dishes. Place dishes on oven tray.
3. Combine chocolate and butter over very low heat or in a large heatproof bowl over a pan
of simmering water and stir until melted. Alternatively melt in microwave and stir.
Remove bowl from heat; whisk in egg yolks.
4. Beat egg whites in a large bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form; gradually add
extra sugar, beat until dissolved.
5. Using a large balloon whisk, gently fold one third of the egg white mixture into chocolate
mixture then fold in remaining egg white mixture.
6. Divide soufflé mixture among prepared dishes; smooth tops with the back of a knife. Run
your thumb and forefinger around rim to release mixture from edge of dish. Bake in
moderately hot oven for about 12 minutes or until soufflés are puffed.
7. Dust soufflés quickly with sifted cocoa or icing sugar if desired; serve immediately with
vanilla ice cream.