Australia’s former ‘First Bloke’ will admit he sexually assaulted a woman in Melbourne last year, a court has been told.
Raymond Timothy Mathieson, also known as Tim Mathieson, appeared before the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on Thursday.
The 66-year-old was dressed in a dark suit as he appeared via video link from his home.
At a previous court hearing last month, his barrister Brad Penno said negotiations with police had resolved the case as two unnamed charges were withdrawn against his client.
Mr Penno previously said his client had agreed to admit to intentional sexual touching without consent and requested the matter be adjourned to find out if prosecutors would accept diversion.
Diversion allows low-level and first time offenders to avoid a criminal conviction by undertaking conditions that benefit the victim, the community and themselves.
But in court, Mr Penno said diversion had been taken “off the table”, and requested the matter be adjourned until October for a one hour hearing.
He confirmed Mr Mathieson would still plead guilty.
Charge documents released by the court revealed Mathieson allegedly sucked on a woman’s nipple in the inner Melbourne suburb of Brunswick East on March 13 last year.
Details of the incident have not been aired in court.
The former hairdresser entered the public spotlight when he began dating then-Labor deputy leader Julia Gillard in 2006.
He became known as Australia’s “First Bloke” – taking on responsibilities traditionally fulfilled by the wives of prime ministers.
Mr Mathieson’s relationship with the former Prime Minister ended quietly in late 2020 or early 2021, with the incident occurring just weeks before Ms Gillard confirmed the pair had split.
In a March 26, 2022, interview Ms Gillard told The Adelaide Advertiser the distance between the pair had been a factor in straining the relationship.
She said she was splitting her time between Adelaide and the United Kingdom, while Mr Mathieson remained in Victoria.
Mr Mathieson will return to court in October.