Jessica Mulroney has lost her TV presenting role over hours after apologising over a 'white privilege' furore that blew up on social media this week.
CTV confirmed the news on Twitter stating the ‘I Do, Redo’ host’s actions conflicted with their “commitment to diversity and equality”.
“Bell Media and CTV encourages our entire team including on-air talent to practice respect, inclusivity and allyship as we pledge to work better and more openly to listen to and amplify black voices, and not minimize them,” the statement read.
“Because recent conduct by one of our shows hosts, Jessica Mulroney, conflicts with our commitment to diversity and equality, CTV has removed ‘I DO REDO’ from all Bell Media channels and platforms effective immediately.”
The development comes despite Jessica Mulroney issuing an apology amidst claims of using her “white privilege” to threaten a Canadian blogger.
According to Sasha, she first received upsetting messages from the former host after she issued a generic call to fellow influencers, encouraging them to use their platforms to “use their voice for good and help combat the race war and what’s happened to the black community.”
Sasha told followers she was mindful not to mention any of her peers by name directly, however Jessica, whom she calls a “former acquaintance” allegedly took offence to the post.
“Listen, I am by no means calling Jess a racist but what I will say is this, she is very well aware of her wealth, her perceived power and privilege because of the colour of her skin,” Sasha said in the video. “And that my friends, gave her the momentary confidence to come for my livelihood in writing. Textbook white privilege in my personal opinion.”
Sasha said Jessica had been noticeably silent on social media regarding the Black Lives Matter movement and the ongoing global protests and was confused due to Jessica’s friendship with Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex, whom she calls “arguably one of the most famous black women in the world.”
Sasha went on to detail that Jessica claimed in writing she had spoken to “companies and people” about the way Sasha had supposedly treated Jessica “unfairly.” Sasha said that worried her, since she earns her income from working with companies and brands on her blog.
“For her to threaten me, a single mom, a single black mom, during a racial pandemic blows my mind,” Sasha said, admitting she had been “paralysed with fear” to share her alleged interaction with Jessica, whom she compared to Amy Cooper, the woman who called the police on Christian Cooper, a black man birdwatching in Central Park.
Sasha said she felt it was important to share her story, despite potentially opening herself up to additional bullying and racism.
“This sh-t needs to stop right now,” she said. “The goal here is genuine, transformative change. Not optical and performative bullsh*t. You cannot be posting that you stand in solidarity while attempting to silence somebody via text.”
Jessica issued an apology to Sasha in the comments section of the video.
“You are right when you say ‘this shit needs to stop.’ As leaders, we need to join hands and call out wrongs.
I know we have different experiences. And that is something that, even in the course of a heated argument, I need to acknowledge and understand,” Jessica began. “I am unequivocally sorry for not doing that with you, and for any hurt I caused.”
Jessica alluded to her friendship with Meghan and also told Sasha she is learning to become a better ally.
“As I told you privately, I have lived a very public and personal experience with my closest friend where race was front and centre. It was deeply educational. I learned a lot from that,” she continued. “I promise to continue to learn and listen on how I can use my privilege to elevate and support black voices.”
Following Jessica’s apology, Sasha returned to social media on Thursday morning to thank her followers for their support, admitting to being “tired” and “stressed” from the ordeal. She also revealed there had been “developments” since she shared her story publicly.
According to Sasha, following her public apology, Jessica sent a direct message notifying Sasha of a potential lawsuit.
“Here’s what happens when you call out someone with privilege and wealth - they publicly make an apology or a statement and privately, behind closed doors, they send you a threat of filing a lawsuit against you,” Sasha said.
Despite the alleged lawsuit, Sasha said she will do whatever it takes to protect herself, since she has the “unequivocal truth” on her side.
Sasha concluded her message to fans by revealing she was going to take a break from social media.
Jessica went on to issued a separate apology on her own account addressing the incident, writing that Sasha “rightfully” called her out not doing enough with her platform to support the “important and difficult conversation around race and injustice in our society.”
According to Jessica, she took the confrontation personally, and knows that she needs to “do better.”
Jessica continued by acknowledging that the bigger conversation should be not about her, but about the black community. She also announced that she would be taking a break from social media and will be giving her “microphone to black voices,” who she hopes will use her account to share their experiences.