However, Deadline reported on Thursday that Amazon “is in talks with Clarkson” over another instalment of his farming documentary series.
The publication claims that while a “deal is not finalised, and there could yet be another plot twist”, “those familiar with the matter said discussions have been positive and there is ambition on both sides to bring the show back”.
The Standard has contacted Amazon for comment.
The third series of the farm show is currently being filmed and is set to wrap production in October, with an air date expected some time in 2024.
Back in August, bosses at Amazon Studios said they were “shocked and disappointed” at Clarkson’s criticism of the Duchess of Sussex last year.
The popular Prime Video series, which documents the workings of Clarkson’s 1,000-acre holding in the Cotswolds, was renewed for a third series by the streamer in October 2022 prior to the controversy.
During a session of the Edinburgh TV Festival, panel host Scott Bryan asked representatives for Amazon why they continued with the show following the controversial column, which was the subject of numerous complaints to the press watchdog, the Independent Press Standards Organisation (Ipso).
Fozia Khan, unscripted lead, UK Originals for Amazon Studios, said the team were “shocked and disappointed” but ultimately made the decision to continue the show.
She added: “I mean, there’s lots of conversations going on. But I think the thing that I want to say is that the show is so much bigger than Clarkson.
“It’s a really good show.”
Ipso upheld a complaint that the column was sexist towards the duchess, describing some of the comments about her as “pejorative and prejudicial”.
The regulator found the article’s use of a comparison to Scotland’s former first minister, Nicola Sturgeon, and serial killer Rose West was because the three are female.
In the December 17 2022 article, Clarkson wrote: “I hate her (Meghan). Not like I hate Nicola Sturgeon or Rose West. I hate her on a cellular level.”
The former Top Gear presenter apologised for the piece, describing his language as “disgraceful” and said he was “profoundly sorry”.
The Sun also apologised and said it regretted the publication of the column, which was removed online.