Iowa HS football coach arrested for threatening to kill referee during game

Jack Baer
An assistant coach lodged a death threat against an official after a no-call involving his son. (Photo by John McDonnell/The Washington Post via Getty Images)

An Iowa high school football assistant coach took things too far in a game last weekend, and now he could be facing legal consequences for it.

Jason Storm, an assistant at Lincoln High School in Des Moines, was arrested Wednesday morning and charged with first-degree harassment after a hostile confrontation with an official that included a death threat, according to Andrea May Sahouri of the Des Moines Register.

The incident reportedly occurred when Storm charged a referee after what he thought was a blown call during a game on Friday, believing that a helmet-to-helmet hit on Lincoln quarterback Cayden Storm — the coach’s son — had been missed. Storm reportedly believed the hit was intentional and claims his son sustained a concussion.

Storm reportedly approached the head official and said he was going to “[expletive] kill him,” according to court documents. The coach was then restrained from attacking the official by his coaching staff and escorted out of the stadium.

A spokesman from the school told the Register there are two sides of the story, insisting that the ref really was at fault and endangering the players:

"There are two sides to the story, and neither one of them are particularly good," Roeder said. Storm "recognized his mistake and owned up to it and stepped down. I hope the ref goes back and looks at the video and realizes he made a serious mistake, as well. There are missed calls in any sporting event, but missing something like that could have been a danger to both players."

The official later filed a report with a police officer. There is apparently video of the incident.

According to the Register, Storm resigned from his position of 15 years on Monday and faces up to two years in prison.

More from Yahoo Sports: