Indiana Jones 5 hit with tragedy as crew member found dead

·Lifestyle & Entertainment Producer
·2-min read

The highly anticipated Indiana Jones 5 has been hit with tragedy after a crew member was found dead on location in Morocco.

Nic Cupac, from the camera department, was found dead in his hotel room in the city of Fes, Walt Disney Studios confirmed to The Post on Thursday.

Harrison Ford working on Indiana Jones 5
Harrison Ford on the set of Indiana Jones 5. Photo: AAP

"Our hearts go out to the family and friends of Nic Cupac, an incredibly talented colleague and member of the film community who will be greatly missed," a representative told the publication.

"His sudden passing was not production-related. Nic was a grip on 2nd unit."

According to The Sun, the 54-year-old's cause of death hasn't been publicly disclosed, but it's believed he "died of natural causes".

RELATED

Crew members spoke to the publication, sharing their heartbreak over the loss.

"I’m heartbroken. Nic was such a lovely man," one person said, with another adding, "One of the very best – taught me so much when I was starting out."

Cupac had worked on numerous blockbuster films including the Jurassic Park, Harry Potter and Star Wars franchises.

He had only recently flown into Morocco to work on the big-budget film.

As a grip, Cupac's role sees him help build and maintain rigging equipment to support cameras. 

Indiana Jones 5 plagued by problems

Harrison Ford on set
Production of the film was recently shut down when Ford suffered a severe shoulder injury. Photo: AAP

The film, which is a co-production with Amblin Entertainment, LucasFilm and Paramount Pictures, has been plagued by problems since they began filming over the summer.

According to The Post, residents in Hackney, East London, where the film was being shot, said production was making life "a living hell" for them. The production reportedly paid one person $100,000 to film inside their home, meaning the entire street was blocked off for days, causing major issues for residents. 

Last week, the film was once again thrown into turmoils when Morocco banned flights to and from the UK due to rising Covid cases.

Harrison Ford, 79, was set to fly into the country right before the ban was announced and it's unclear if he made it into Morocco. 

Production was also halted for three months earlier in the year when Ford suffered a severe shoulder injury. He only began filming again two weeks ago in Italy.

If this wasn't enough, the pandemic has also caused other lengthy delays with the film originally slated for a July 9, 2021 release. It was then pushed back a full year to July 2022, however, Disney has now scheduled it for a 2023 release. 

It's unknown whether Cupac's passing could see further delays.

Never miss a thing. Sign up to Yahoo Lifestyle’s daily newsletter .

Or if you have a story idea, email us at lifestyle.tips@yahooinc.com.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting