Fox Sports' Paul Kent denies 'embarrassing' DV charges
Prominent sports journalist Paul Kent says it is his turn in the spotlight of the "rugby league soap opera" as he faces charges of assaulting his ex-girlfriend.
The senior Daily Telegraph writer and television host was charged on the weekend with two domestic violence-related offences after a 33-year-old woman alleged she had been choked at a home in Sydney's inner west.
Police said both Kent and the woman were arrested, but she was released without charge.
Kent, 53, pleaded not guilty when he appeared at Downing Centre Local Court on Wednesday.
A third charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm is expected to be laid and the pair have been ordered to stay away from each other.
Outside court, Kent said he was "embarrassed" about the charges but was "looking forward to the full story coming out".
"It's just the rugby league soap opera. It's the way it rolls," he said.
"It's my day in the storyline right now and that's fine. People are entitled to their opinions."
Kent said his employers, the Daily Telegraph and Fox Sports, "fully support" him.
"I don't think my career is over," he said.
The presenter was absent from his seat on Fox Sports' NRL 360 program on Monday night.
Host Braith Anasta said Gorden Tallis was replacing Kent this week after he was stood down.
Kent is due to return to court in December for a hearing.
1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)
Lifeline 13 11 14