Forest Green Rovers 5-2 Scarborough Athletic: League Two side win replay to reach FA Cup second round

Scarborough Athletic's history-making FA Cup run was brought to an abrupt end by Forest Green Rovers at The New Lawn Stadium.

League Two strugglers Rovers booked a second-round tie at Blackpool after Teddy Jenks, Kyle McAllister, Jamie Robson and Harvey Bunker all scored in the opening 35 minutes of this replay.

Part-timers Scarborough, of the National League North, were playing in the first round for the first time since they rose from the ashes of former league club Scarborough in 2007, and were minutes away from an upset before teenager Olly Sully's equaliser in added time ten days ago.

Scarborough gave themselves a glimmer of hope when Alex Wiles, whose goal had given them the lead for most of the initial game, cracked in another fine goal just before half-time.

That was quashed after Rovers substitute Tyrese Omotoye restored the four-goal gap before Michael Coulson's late consolation for Scarborough.

Scarborough manager Jonathan Greening told BBC North Yorkshire in the run-up to the replay that four of his squad would find it hard to make it to The New Lawn in time for kick-off as they were teachers and did not finish work until 3.15pm.

They began like a team that had made an arduous 230-mile journey from the North East of England, as Jenks' deflected shot put the home side ahead with only four minutes gone.

Former Watford striker Troy Deeney drew a foul from Scarborough keeper Ryan Whitley to give McAllister the spot kick from which he doubled the lead, and a quickly taken free-kick by Deeney ended with Fankaty Dabo crossing for Robson to make it three.

A few minutes later Whitley saved well from Jordan Moore-Taylor's header but Harvey Bunker snapped up the rebound, before Wiles - one of the four late-working teachers - crashed in the pick of the night's goals as Scarborough capitalised on Charlie McCann's mistake.

The second half meandered towards a conclusion but Omotoye finished smartly after a step over, and the away side gave themselves a moment of cheer for the long trip home when Coulson popped up at the far post with a header for their second goal.

Forest Green Rovers manager David Horseman:

"It is important that we started well. In these cup ties you have to try and impose yourself on it, especially as a higher-league team against a lower-league team. And the boys, they were up for it.

"I thought Scarborough were absolutely excellent and ran us all the way and kept pushing.

"I thought the players had to show a really professional attitude to get it done and some moments of real Football League quality.

"It is a shame that it was not [more goals], if I am being really honest. Luckily enough we got through at the moment as far as we know with no more injuries."

Scarborough Athletic manager Jonathan Greening:

"I am disappointed we have not gone through, but also very proud of the players.

"We gave them a good game over the two ties.

"What killed us tonight was we did not start the game very well.

"We knew it was going to be difficult, but we are all disappointed with the first 20 to 30 minutes."