Nat's trip to WA's Mandurah Crab Festival inspired New Idea's Barbara Northwood to create this great salsa recipe
125g can corn kernels, drained
125g can creamed corn
3 eggs, separated
1/3 cup milk
1 cup self-raising flour
cooking oil spray
salad, to serve
300g cooked crabmeat
1/2 Lebanese cucumber, finely chopped
1/4 red onion, finely chopped
1/4 yellow capsicum, finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1-2 tablespoons lemon juice or to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. To make crab salsa, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix well.
2. To make hotcakes, combine creamed and corn kernels, egg yolks and milk in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in flour until combined.
3. Beat egg whites in a separate bowl until combined. Fold into corn mixture.
4. Heat an electric non-stick fry pan over medium heat. Lightly spray with cooking oil. Cook four hotcakes at a time. Pour 1/4 cupfuls of corn mixture into pan. Cook for about 2 minutes. When bubbles appear, turn hotcakes over and cook for another 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, or until lightly browned. Repeat with remaining batter.
5. Serve two hotcakes per person and top with crab salsa. Serve with a salad.