New Idea Food Director Barbara Northwood's back to school lunch ideas
3/4 cup white long grain rice
225g can pineapple pieces in natural juice
3/4 cup frozen peas
200g packed shaved ham, finely chopped
1 small red capsicum, finely chopped
Tomato Sauce Dressing
1/4 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons white vinegar
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1. Cook rice in a large saucepan of boiling water until just tender. Drain and rinse under cold water. Drain well.
2. Drain pineapple; reserve juice for another use. Place pineapple on kitchen paper towel to drain well.
3. Boil, steam or microwave peas until tender. Rinse under cold water. Drain.
4. To make dressing, place all ingredients in a small jug. Whisk to combine.
5. Place rice, pineapple, peas, ham or capsicum in a large bowl. Add dressing. Toss to coat.