Sweet shortcrust pastry
2 cups plain flour
1/4 cup self-raising flour
1/4 cup caster sugar
180g butter, chopped
1 egg yolk
1/4-1/3 cup iced water
1 egg, beaten
Demerara (raw cane) sugar
500g of mixed frozen berries
1/3 cup of sugar
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Line two oven trays with baking paper.
2. To make shortcrust pastry, put flours, caster sugar and butter in a food processor and process until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. Add egg yolk and iced water; process until mixture begins to form a ball.
4. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead lightly until smooth. Divide pastry into 6 even pieces and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
5. Roll each piece of pastry out on a floured surface until 3mm thick. Brush each piece with beaten egg and sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon of demerara sugar.
6. Turn pastry over and place onto prepared trays and sprinkle 1 teaspoon of almond meal in the centre of each piece.
7. Combine frozen berries with sugar and pile in the centre of each piece of pastry. Fold the edges over to partially enclose the fruit. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden. Serve immediately with softly whipped cream.