Kick Start Diet - Dinner, Day 17 and Day 21
• 6 medium potatoes, peeled and washed, quartered
• 1 tblsp margarine
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• 1 tblsp olive oil
• 1 onion, peeled, finely diced
• 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
• 500g lean beef mince
• 1 tsp allspice
• 1 x 400g can crushed tomatoes
• Fresh coriander or parsley, to serve
1. Cook potatoes in a large saucepan of salted boiling water for 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain well. Using a potato masher, roughly mash potatoes. Add margarine and beat with a wooden spoon until fluffy. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. Meanwhile, add olive oil to saucepan and cook onion and garlic on medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until onion softens. Add mince and allspice. Cook for 10 minutes or until meat is browned.
3. Add tinned tomatoes to saucepan. Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened. Season to taste.
4. Evenly divide mashed potatoes among serving plates and ladle mince on top. Serve with a sprinkle of fresh coriander or parsley.
Quantity per serving
Energy (kJ) 1703.94kJ
Protein (g) 33.15g
Total fat (g) 14.92g
- Saturated fat (g) 4.70g
Carbohydrate (g) 34.06g
Sugars (g) 7.01g
Dietary fibre (g) 5.64g
Sodium (mg) 460.05mg