- 4 serves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 kg beef mince
- 50g sachet tomato paste
- 1 carrot, peeled, grated
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 1cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 410g can rich & thick chopped tomatoes
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft.
- Add mince, cook, stirring occasionally, for a few minutes, or until changed in colour.
- Add tomato paste, carrot, herbs, stock and sauce. Bring to boil, simmer, uncovered, for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until liquid evaporates and mixture thickens. Stir in chopped tomatoes.
Divide mince into 5 equal portions. Place 3 portions, covered, in the fridge. Place another portion in an individual ovenproof bowl. Cover and freeze. Place remaining portion in a freezer bag and freeze.
Pasta with Savoury Sauce. Heat one portion of mince in a pan (or heat in microwave). Serve over 200g cooked bow tie pasta. Top with grated parmesan cheese.
Mexican Tacos. Heat one portion of mince in a pan. Stir in 2 teaspoons taco seasoning mix. Divide between 2 taco shells, top with shredded lettuce, chopped tomato and grated cheese. Spoon a little sour cream on top.
Savoury Mince with Rice. Heat one portion of mince in a pan (or microwave) with 1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables. Heat 90-second sachet microwave flavoured-rice in the microwave. Stir into mince mixture.
Shepherd's Pie. Cover frozen mince in ovenproof dish in foil. Cook in a moderately hot oven (190C) for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, cook 2 medium, peeled potatoes in a pan of boiling water until tender. Drain and mash with a knob of butter and 2-3 tablespoons milk until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Remove foil from dish, pile mashed potato on top. Return to oven for a further 15 minutes or until browned.
Beef Noodle Curry. Thaw remaining portion of mince in microwave (or fridge overnight). Break a packet of 2-Minute curry-flavoured noodles into quarters. Bring 1 1/2 cups water to boil in a pan. Add noodles and boil for 2 minutes. Drain. Place mince mixture in a pan with noodles, flavour sachet, 1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables and 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce. Stir until heated through. Serve with sour cream and pappadums.