- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- 6 Servings
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 900 g lean eye round roast, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine
- ¾ cup fat-free, salt-reduced beef stock
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 340 g baby carrots
- 2½ cups eschalots, peeled
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 3 cm lengths
- 8 cloves garlic
- 3 cups cooked egg noodles
- Combine the flour, basil, half the salt, and black pepper in a large bowl. Add the roast and turn to coat.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick casserole dish over medium to high heat. Add the roast and cook until browned, turning occasionally, about 8 minutes. Pour in the wine and cook for 2 minutes, scraping up any browned bits.
- Meanwhile, combine any remaining flour mixture with the stock, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Add to the casserole with the carrots, escalots, celery, and garlic.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer until tender, turning the beef occasionally, about 2 hours. Remove from the heat. Stir in the remaining salt and black pepper. Cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve each portion with ½ cup egg noodles.
Calories 386 Kilojoules 1,616 Total Fat 8 g Saturated Fat 3 g Sodium 466 mg Carbohydrate 33 g Dietary Fibre
5 g Protein 39 g