- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- 4 Servings
- 4 large carrots, halved lengthwise
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed, with fronds reserved and cut into slices
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1 can (340 g) skim evaporated milk
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Coat a baking tray with sides with cooking spray. Place the carrot, fennel, onion and garlic on the baking tray and drizzle with the oil, turning the vegetables to coat them. Roast for 45 minutes, or until browned and very tender.
- Combine the vegetables in a blender or food processor with 2 cups of the stock. Blend or process until the soup is almost smooth.
- Place the vegetable mixture in a saucepan with the milk and the remaining 1 cup stock. Heat over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the flavours meld and the soup is hot. Ladle into 4 bowls and top each with the reserved fennel fronds.
Per serving: 985 kJ, 11 g protein, 21 g carbohydrates, 10 g fat (1 g sat fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 164 mg sodium, 5 g fibre, 284 mg calcium