- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- 4 serves
- 1 tbsp canola oil or olive oil
- 2 portobello mushrooms (12-15cm diameter), prepped and sliced
- 1 medium white onion, sliced
- 1 red capsicum, seeded and sliced
- 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 4 wholemeal rolls
Cook the portobellos
- Heat a large pan on medium-high heat. Add half the oil, swirling the pan to evenly coat the bottom. Then add the portobello slices and cook, stirring occasionally, until theyâ€™re nicely caramelized; about eight minutes. Remove them to a plate.
Finish the vegetables
- Heat the remaining oil in the same pan and add the onion and capsicum. SautÃ© until the vegetables have begun to brown; about eight minutes. Return the mushrooms to the pan and stir in the soy and Worcestershire sauce. Cook until the vegetables have absorbed most of the liquid. Season to taste with salt and pepper; remove the pan from the heat.
Assemble the sandwiches
- Divide the vegetables into four piles in the pan and top each pile with a slice of cheese. After the cheese has melted a little, use a spatula to tuck the vegetables into the rolls.
NUTRITIONAL INFO PER SERVING:
1700 kilojoules, 17 grams protein, 56g carbohydrates, 9g fibre, 16g fat, 880 milligrams sodium.