- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
- 2¼ hours
- 4 serves
- 2 small fresh red chillies, finely chopped
- 1 long fresh red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tsp mild paprika
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1.4kg (size 14) whole chicken
- 250g chat potatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 small sweet potato, coarsely chopped
- 250g kipfler potatoes, scrubbed, halved
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Combine chilli, paprika, rind, ¹/³ cup of the lemon juice, oil, garlic and oregano in a small bowl and set aside. Rinse chicken under cold water and pat dry with paper towel. Cut along each side of backbone with kitchen scissors and discard. Turn chicken skin-side up. Use heel of hand to flatten slightly, then remove skin. Using a skewer, pierce chicken all over and put in a baking dish. Rub with chilli mixture and bake for 2 hours, basting with pan juices.
- Line an oven tray with baking paper. Place potatoes on prepared tray, drizzle with remaining lemon juice, then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bake for last 50 minutes of chicken cooking time.
- Increase oven temperature to 220°C. Remove chicken and stand, covered with foil, for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, continue cooking potatoes for 15 minutes or until tender and golden. Serve chicken with potatoes and lemon wedges. Serve with steamed green beans, sautéed and sprinkled with chopped fresh parsley.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE THIS RECIPE
11 ProPoints values per serve