Follow us on Twitter: @y7lifestyle
Put down the deep fried milk and deep fried beer. Yes, they really do exist. There are no longer any limits on what we will cover in batter and fry from Doritos to ravioli to Cadbury creme eggs. While not everything that can be fried should be fried, the latest culinary invention with a vat of oil has been a bit of a phenomenon. Enter the chewy, golden nuggets that are deep fried Coca Cola. So far the deep fried Coke recipe has been an urban myth, a magical story of this gelatinous Coke infused snack. Until now. The recipe has been published by cookbook author/photographer team Denise Gee and Robert Peacock and is yours to take.
Abel Gonzales Jr., the inventor of fried Coke, debuted his fantastic fried creation at the Texas State Fair in Dallas and sold 16,000 cups in the first two weeks.
Since Abel's recipe is a secret, this comes pretty dadgum close to what he invented in 2006.
Reprinted with permission from Sweet on Texas.
Have you tried any of the following crazy deep fried foods? Click below to see some interesting creations.
Deep fried Coke Recipe
2 cups Coca-Cola
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
vegetable oil for deep frying
pure cola syrup
1. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, then add the Coca-Cola and granulated sugar.
2. Sift 2 cups of the flour, baking powder, and salt and add to the Coca-Cola mixture. Mix while adding more flour, until the batter is smooth and not too thick.
3. Heat the oil to 190C in a deep fryer.
4. Drop 1 1/2-inch dough balls into the fryer and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until golden. Remove them with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
5. Sprinkle the fried Coke balls with powdered sugar while they are still hot, and douse with cola syrup.
6. Garnish with whipped cream and maraschino cherries, if desired, and serve.
Level of Difficulty: Moderate
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
What do you think? Would you try deep fried Coke? Let us know at the Y7 Lifestyle Facebook page.