From Victoria Beckham to BCBG to Sophia Bush, wet and dry hair was the new look in hair at New York Fashion Week’s Spring / Summer collection. Characterized by wet looking slicked back hair with dry ends, it is a new, utterly modern twist on the classic gelled look of decades past.To show us how to recreate the fashion forward look, we caught up with Emmy nominated hairstylist Robin Watson Hamilton, who has created runway ready looks at New York Fashion week for designers including Tracy Reese, Betsy Johnson, and Badgly Mishka.
“This look is edgy but clean at the same time and will flatter both a round face or one with more defined bone structure. Think of it as this year’s take on the ponytail!”
1. Wash and condition hair. Add a deep conditioner if your hair is a little dry.
2. Towel dry and comb straight back without creating a part.
3. Using VS Sassoon’s new Wet & Dry Straightener, a unique tool that can be used on both wet and dry hair, press damp hair between plates in about 2 inch sections all around the head starting around the ears. The motion of the tool should be straight down to the ends of your hair.
The VS Sassoon Wet & Dry Straightener features specially created floating mid size plates for easy and super quick straightening without pulling or damaging hair.
4. Make sure the hair lays evenly between the plates and enough pressure is applied so that the hair finishes straight and dry. Then gather into a pony.
5. To maintain that wet look at the roots, generously apply medium hold gel over your crown, starting at your hairline, ceasing just above your nape.
Et voila! Your updated sleek ponytail is ready to rock and roll!
The VS Sassoon Wet & Dry Straightener is available in stores now and retails for $50. For more information head to VS Sassoon.