‘Excruciating’: Man’s proposal gone wrong

Adelaide man Adam Boots was burnt six months ago puring accelerant onto a bonfire. Picture: Channel 9
Adelaide man Adam Boots was burned six months ago pouring accelerant onto a bonfire. Picture: Channel 9

A fireside engagement proposal has gone seriously awry for an Adelaide man who burned himself and spent weeks in hospital after trying to get the romantic bonfire going with an accelerant.

Adam Boots is recovering from burns to his face, arms and legs six months on from trying to pop the question beside the fire pit.

Adelaide man Adam Boots was burnt six months ago puring accelerant onto a bonfire. Picture: Channel 9
Adam Boots’ face, arms and legs were burned. Picture: Channel 9
Adelaide man Adam Boots was burnt six months ago puring accelerant onto a bonfire. Picture: Channel 9
He is recovering and wants other people to be safe around fire. Picture: Channel 9

The father of two managed to propose from his hospital bed sometime later.

“I’ve just lent down and leaned in and it’s exploded into my face,” he said.

“The pain was quite excruciating, especially on the face.

“Don’t use accelerations and be very cautious.”

Adelaide man Adam Boots was burnt six months ago puring accelerant onto a bonfire. Picture: Channel 9
His partner accepted the ring. Picture: Channel 9

It’s not just hopeless romantics who must be wary of bonfires this winter.

Last week, The Alfred hospital in Melbourne sounded the alarm on a worrying trend typically involving young men, bonfires, booze and three-day weekends.

Staff at the hospital have recorded a spike in petrol burns on long weekends, typically involving men in their 20s and 30s, alcohol and drugs.

Alfred doctor Stephen Goldie said the recurring theme stood out.

People were 20 per cent more likely to be burned by petrol on a public holiday, the research found.