Leilua to rebuild NRL career after DV charges dropped
North Queensland forward Luciano Leilua plans to rebuild his playing career after his domestic violence-related charges were dropped and he was cleared to return to the NRL.
Leilua was accused of assaulting a 26-year-old woman known to him and smashing her phone in an incident at a home in Sydney's southwestern outskirts in October last year.
One charge of common assault and one court of destroying common property were dropped by consent at Campbelltown Local Court on Thursday.
Without admitting anything, Leilua agreed to abide by a 12-month apprehended violence order barring him from assaulting, stalking or intimidating the woman.
Outside court, the NRL player's lawyer Elias Tabchouri said Leilua and his family were happy police had decided to withdraw the charges.
"Our position was this was a case that could not be sustained and clearly the police have seen that," Mr Tabchouri said.
"(Leilua) wants to rebuild his life with his family and rebuild his career."
The NRL confirmed that the 26-year-old would be able to play again, saying a no-fault-stand down implemented after the charges were brought no longer applied.
"The no-fault stand down condition has been discontinued following the withdrawal of criminal charges against Leilua," the rugby league body said.
After being barred from playing, Leilua missed representing Samoa at the World Cup in October and November after impressing for North Queensland in 2022 following a mid-season switch from Wests Tigers.
The Cowboys confirmed that Leilua has been added to the team's reserves list for the round 12 game against the Tigers at Leichhardt Oval on Saturday.
The NRL Integrity Unit is still conducting its own inquiry into whether the forward's conduct breached any of the organisation's rules.
1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)
Lifeline 13 11 14