‘Disappointed’ Ivan Toney releases statement after eight-month football ban
Ivan Toney has stated his disappointment at being banned from football for eight months following a hearing into his breaches of betting guidelines.
The Brentford and England striker was fined £50,000 on Wednesday by an independent regulatory comission following a Football Assocation (FA) investigation, which led to him being found guilty of 232 charges.
The punishment means Toney, 27, cannot play again until January of next year at the earliest, while also being banned from training until September.
Following the verdict, the player released a statement in which he thanked Brentford for their support.
Toney can appeal the decision but has said he will wait until the comission’s full written reasons for the ban are published before taking any further steps.
“Today I have received notification of my eight-month ban from football following a hearing before an FA Regualtory Commission that took place yesterday,” he stated.
“I am naturally disappointed that I will not be able to play for the next eight months.
“The written reasons for the Comission’s decision have not yet been published, so I make no further comment at this point other than to thank my family and friends, Brentford and our fans for their continued support, through what has been a very difficult time.
“I now focus on returning to play the game I love next season.”
The betting breaches took place between February 2017 and January 2021, prompting an FA investigation.
”Ivan Toney has been suspended from all football and football-related activity with immediate effect for eight months, which runs up to and including 16 January 2024, fined £50,000 and warned as to his future conduct for breaches of The FA’s Betting Rules,” read an FA statement.
“The Brentford forward was charged with 262 breaches of FA Rule E8 in total between 25 February 2017 and 23 January 2021. The FA subsequently withdrew 30 of these breaches and he admitted to the remaining 232.
“His sanctions were subsequently imposed by an independent Regulatory Commission following a personal hearing. He is permitted to return to training only with his club for the final four months of his suspension starting from 17 September 2023.”
Premier League club Brentford have said they will also wait for the full written reasons before taking any further action on their star striker.
A statement read: “Brentford FC notes the decision of an independent Regulatory Commission to issue an eight-month ban from all football and football-related activity to Ivan Toney with immediate effect.
“Ivan was charged with breaches of FA rule E8 and had a personal hearing earlier this week.
“Brentford FC is currently awaiting the publication of the written reasons of the independent Regulatory Commission. We will review them before considering our next steps.”