Date locked in for NSW treasurer's first budget
The date of the first Minns government budget has been locked in as reviews into the state's infrastructure pipeline, kids' voucher schemes and other programs continue.
NSW Treasurer Daniel Mookhey will deliver his first state budget on September 19 after the date was approved by cabinet.
He had earlier announced the 2023/24 budget would be delayed by three months to allow the incoming government to consider its options.
The Active Kids voucher program, providing community sport subsidies for school-aged children, is among several programs with an unclear future due to funding arrangements set up by the previous government.
Other holes uncovered include no funding for Cyber Security NSW for the final two financial years of the budget cycle and a $700m shortfall in funds available for children in out-of-home care due to overruns.
A strategic infrastructure review of significant capital works, led by former state roads boss Ken Kanofski, and a comprehensive expenditure review led by Finance Minister Courtney Houssos are under way.
Before the March election, Treasury forecasted net debt would reach $79.2 billion by June 2023 or 10.4 per cent of the state's economy, amid increased interest rates and high inflation.
The "inherited significant economic challenges and difficult-to-avoid pressures ... require some tough decisions" ahead of the September budget, Mr Mookhey said.
"The former government has handed over to us the largest debt in NSW history," he said on Friday.
"We have uncovered multiple unfunded government programs during our reviews of our state's position."
Mr Mookhey said high inflation and higher interest rates, as well as the state's historic debt position, will also put added pressure on budget choices.
"Fixing these challenges will take time and some hard decisions but we have the right team equipped to deliver."