'Oh dear': Vicar accidentally sets himself on fire during virtual sermon

Sarah Carty
Features & Style Editor

A vicar in the UK has provided some light relief to his followers, after uploading footage to his Twitter showing the moment he caught fire during a sermon. 

Stephen Beach, vicar of St Budeaux parish church in Plymouth, was in the middle of recording one of his virtual ‘worship experiences’, after places of worship were closed due to coronavirus restrictions, when he looked down and noticed his jumper was on fire. 

Stephen Beach accidentally set himself alight while conducting an online sermon. Twitter/Stephen Beach

He’s since uploaded a snippet of the moment to his Twitter account, captioning it: “It is surprising what catches on”.

In the footage, you can see Stephen standing beside a candelabra of candles before he looks down and notices fire on his jumper. 

“Oh dear – I’ve just caught fire,” he says calmly, simply saying: “Oh my word.” 

In a later video, he says: “You must watch the out-take – my family are really impressed with it.”

People have since commented on the video, calling Stephen a ‘living legend’. 

“Going viral isn't really a good thing at the moment but you have brought a lot of joy to people at this time Stephen,” one person said. 

Stephen pats the fire away calmly. Photo: Twitter/Stephen Beach

“Thank you so much for this!! I was belly laughing when I first saw it and it still makes me giggle!! Your reaction is just wonderful,” another person said. 

Got a story tip or just want to get in touch? Email us at lifestyle.tips@verizonmedia.com.