Child sexual abuse survivors to receive more help
Survivors of child sexual abuse will be further supported as they seek help or make a compensation claim, under a $142.2 million funding boost over the next five years.
Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth revealed on Friday an additional $142.2m in the May budget for the National Redress Scheme, to ensure survivors can access it in a timely and trauma-informed way.
The funding will be used to improve the processing of applications, and outcomes for survivors accessing the scheme.
Ms Rishworth said the government's priority was to make sure survivors did not face unnecessary delays, with improvements aimed at making it easier to apply.
The extra money will ensure the scheme itself is adequately funded, but importantly that the support services around it are too, she told Sky News.
"The evidence shows that if people go through a redress support service then it is a smoother ride for them through the process."
Of the funding, $80.1m over the next four years will be dedicated to scheme support services, including tailored services for Indigenous and disabled people, and language assistance.
The minister cautioned that greater benefits of the program are still to come, as it takes time for people to understand they are entitled to redress.
But an increasing number of institutions joining the scheme shows confidence in it is growing, she said.
Earlier this month, the government released its response to a review of the National Redress Scheme, where it supported 34 of 38 recommendations to improve its operation.
Ms Rishworth also revealed an early intervention program for kids with autism could provide major savings for the government in their NDIS cost-cutting quest.
"If you can intervene early and get support early, then what you've actually got is less costly and complicated interventions later on," she said.
The $22 million scheme was announced earlier this week and up to 1500 children aged between nine to 14 months are expected to take part.