Ten people, including six children, have been rushed to hospital after being exposed to dangerous chemicals at a Sydney pool.
Emergency services were called to a swim centre in Prestons, southwest of Sydney just before 4pm on Friday to deal with a “toxic cloud” created by two common chemicals.
A total of 30 people were evacuated from the centre, with 14 tended to by paramedics.
The four adults and six children were then taken to hospital complaining of breathing difficulties.
Hazmat crews were brought in to assess the situation, with Fire and Rescue NSW superintendent Adam Dewberry explaining the chaos had been caused by two common chemicals, used for pool chlorination and pool cleaning, that had been mixed accidentally.
“ They have caused a toxic and nasty vapour,” he told 2GB.
With some warm spring weather on the way, Mr Dewberry also issued a stark warning for people who had a pool at home.
“We see this a bit in swimming pools even in the home so people really need to be careful when they’re working with these pool chemicals, particularly in the home,” Dewberry said.
“It’s very dangerous, it’s an irritant it’s a toxic, it’s corrosive.”
Footage from the scene showed emergency responders entering the building dressed in full hazmat safety equipment.
Inside, firefighters worked to dilute the toxic chemical mix, believed to be sodium hypochlorite, commonly used as pool chlorine, and hydrochloric acid.
After tackling the chemicals, they also needed to ventilate the indoor facility.
The pool has since been declared safe.
The people taken to hospital were expected to be discharged on Saturday, a spokesperson for South Western Sydney Local Health District confirmed to NCA NewsWire