- Preparation time:
- 1 hour plus 30 mins chilling and 30 mins setting
- Cooking time:
- 5 mins
- 48 Makes
- 450g store-bought butter cake (without icing)
- 750g chocolate melts
- Assorted toppings, to decorate (see Decorating Essentials, above)
- You’ll need 48 lollipop sticks, a giftbox, tissue paper, florist’s oasis, clear Cellophane, ribbon and Styrofoam or a drying rack. 1 Line an oven tray with baking paper. Crumble cake into a large bowl. Put ²⁄³ cup of the dark chocolate melts in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth. Add to crumbs and stir until well combined. Form 2 firmly packed teaspoonfuls of mixture into a ball. Put on prepared tray. Repeat with remaining mixture. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Put remaining dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth. Repeat with white chocolate melts, in a separate bowl. Divide white chocolate between 2 bowls. Blend 1 drop pink gel with 5 drops oil and add to 1 bowl. Stir and repeat until desired shade is reached.
- Dip ¹⁄³ of the balls, 1 at a time, into melted dark chocolate, turning carefully to coat completely, then use 2 forks to remove from chocolate. Return to prepared tray. Repeat process, dipping ½ of the remaining balls in white chocolate, then dip remaining balls in pink chocolate. Set aside for 30 minutes or until set. Re-melt remaining chocolate in microwave on medium/50% in 10-second bursts until smooth. Use a fork to drizzle chocolate over truffles, using contrasting colours. Set aside for 30 minutes or until set. Serve.
To wrap up individual cake pops, simply place a small cellophane bag over the cake pop ball and secure the open end of the bag with pretty ribbon.