- Preparation time:
- 1 hour plus 30 mins chilling and 30 mins setting
- Cooking time:
- 5 mins
- 48 Makes
- 450g store-bought butter cake(without icing)
- 750g chocolate melts
- Lilac, pastel pink and soft green sanding sugar
- 144 small sugar blossoms
- You can use white, milk or dark chocolate melts. You’ll need 48 lollipop sticks, a giftbox, tissue paper, florist’s oasis, clear Cellophane, ribbon and Styrofoam or a drying rack. 1 Line an oven tray with baking paper. Crumble cake into a large bowl. Put ²⁄³ cup of the chocolate melts in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth. Add to crumbs and stir until well combined. Form 2 firmly packed teaspoonfuls of mixture into a ball. Put on prepared tray. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Put remaining chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth. Dip a lollipop stick into chocolate, insert into a cake ball, then return to tray. Repeat with remaining lollipop sticks and balls. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Re-melt remaining chocolate in microwave on medium/50% in 10-second bursts until smooth. Transfer remaining chocolate to a tall, narrow glass. Dip 1 ball into chocolate, rocking back and forth until completely coated. Tap stick gently on side of glass to allow excess chocolate to drip off.
- Sugar blossoms and sanding sugar are available from cake decorating stores.
- Dip back of sugar blossoms in remaining melted chocolate and secure 3 to top of each pop. Set aside for 30 minutes or until firmly set. Serve.
To wrap up individual cake pops, simply place a small cellophane bag over the cake pop ball and secure the open end of the bag with pretty ribbon.