- Preparation time:
- 1 hour plus 30 mins chilling and 30 mins setting
- Cooking time:
- 5 mins
- 48 Makes
- 450g store-bought butter cake (without icing)
- 750g chocolate melts
- Assorted toppings, to decorate (see Decorating Essentials, above)
- You can use white, milk or dark chocolate melts. 2. You’ll need 48 lollipop sticks, a giftbox, tissue paper, florist’s oasis, clear Cellophane, ribbon and Styrofoam or a drying rack. 1 Line an oven tray with baking paper. Crumble cake into a large bowl. Put ²⁄³ cup of the chocolate melts in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth. Add to crumbs and stir until well combined. Form 2 firmly packed teaspoonfuls of mixture into a ball. Put on prepared tray. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Put remaining chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth. Dip a lollipop stick into chocolate, insert into a cake ball, then return to tray. Repeat with remaining lollipop sticks and balls. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Re-melt remaining chocolate in microwave on medium/50% in 10-second bursts until smooth. Transfer remaining chocolate to a tall, narrow glass. Dip 1 ball into chocolate, rocking back and forth until completely coated. Tap stick gently on side of glass to allow excess chocolate to drip off.
- Working quickly, before chocolate sets, roll pop in topping. Put stick into Styrofoam or prepared drying rack. Repeat with remaining pops and toppings. Set aside for 30 minutes or until chocolate sets.
- To display, wrap florist’s oasis in foil and put in giftbox. Decorate box with tissue paper, ribbon and Cellophane. Working from centre outwards, push sticks 1 by 1 into oasis so no 2 identical pops are side by side, trimming sticks to sit neatly in box, if necessary. Serve.
To make your cake pop bouquet stand strong, place a piece of Styrofoam or florist green into your chosen gift box. Insert pops into the Styrofoam or florist green to give them a nice strong solid base.